New Responsive Engine [beta] is Live!

Hey @nick.carroll in addition to having repeating groups float left and right horizontally would it be possible to have them float in the center as well? I’m trying to build a map now that has a floating group over it where we are going to put an info window centered over the map but the problem is that you can’t keep the group to be the width of the actual content and have that floating group be center aligned at the same time; what you need to do right now is have that floating group span 100% width of the page and then put a group in the center of the floating group. It does solve the issue visually but then if you have map markers or other content under that 100% spanned floating group they get blocked.

Hi @jonathan.timianko,

I agree it would be nice to have a “center” alignment option built in. Until that happens, though, you might want to check out this thread. The second approach works whether the FG is fixed width or not.

1 Like

Awesome thanks!

Hello @nick.carroll !

Is there any way I can turn the new responsive engine to default in old apps? All my pages are already in the new responsive engine, but when I create new ones, they still come with the old one.

First off, great feature that you guys added. Now developing with bubble is less stressful on the front-end. :slight_smile:

Is there a possibility of doing the following:

Group: row-direction: row. When Current Page Width < 768 => Group: row-direction: column?

I cannot seem to find this in the conditional tab. Container alignment and alignment is there but Container Layout is missing. :thinking: Or is there a way to achieve that 2 containers inside of another container are aligned in a column?

1 Like

Looking into the feasibility of this!

The main issue with exposing this is that different child controls become available based on the parent container layout type, and there is currently no way to control child element settings in a parent container’s conditional tab. We’d like to make this possible, but it will require re-thinking the current conditional UX.

1 Like

Aaaa, got you.

For now I just made another group with the desired container layout when onMobile and hide/show the groups. Thanks for your time replying to the thread. Have good week!

2 Likes

Alright, who’s going to be the one to say it? I guess me, since no one else will. I don’t want to sound unappreciative of Bubble, but this new responsive engine is,… how do you say, NOT GOOD. Everyone is acting like this is some kind of great thing on the new release, ITS NOT. I feel like we’ve taken 20 steps backwards with this new engine. Not a fan, and highly irritated.

If no one else is saying it there might be a reason for it. The new engine is amazing and the number of improvements it brings to the table is insane. Bubble didnt invent anything new, the engine is powered by flexbox which is the layout model used by most modern websites. It is an industry standard.

What exactly bothers you about the new engine?
I’m sure the community can help you with any issues or confusions you are having.

2 Likes

Well, firstly it’s hardy new anymore (it’s more than 16 months since the initial beta release)…

but in what sense is it ‘NOT GOOD’

It’s better in every meaningful way, and offers a much more robust and modern approach to responsive app building (based on flexbox), not to mention making it much much faster and simpler to build with, infinitely easier to design and edit, and it has performance benefits…

What exactly don’t you like about the ‘new’ responsive engine?

1 Like

No one else is saying it, because like most Bubblers, people get lost in their Bubble, like fanatics; and then all of the sudden Bubble can do no wrong and is so perfect.

Look at any Bubble forum, anytime someone brings an issue to the table, there’s a heard of people defending a broken well. Well, I am not going to be one to just pretend like I am so pleased with something, just because everyone is trying to buy the hype.

Which, I sort of get, because don’t get me wrong. Bubble is great. It’s truly helped me in many - many ways. However, your point about the Flexbox engine being used by so many other sites, is exactly my point, and the reason I got away from those sorts of builders. I am not trying to build a wordpress, vista print, or wix site here.

In my opinion the new engine causes us to lose one of the great things about Bubble, which was the down right flexibility and customization of your pages. You can’t do that with Flexbox. Flexbox is not flexible, you’re required to stay within its parameters at all times. No good.

If you choose the parent element’s layout type as “fixed”, its behaviour is same as old editor, right?

I for one, for sure do not want to edit any page in the old layout method. It was so counter intuitive, unreliable and incomplete in terms of what could be done. Margins and paddings would get lost for no clear reason. If you had to add an element in between you would have to do so much work by having to move around all other items. And so on.

2 Likes

I personally love it. It makes development much smoother.

1 Like

No, the new engine fixed elements are nothing like the old engine. Nothing is like the old engine. Funny you mention counterintuitive, because that’s exactly how I feel about the new engine.

That’s what I keep hearing from everyone. Yet, anytime I try and look up a tutorial, none of the old no-coder tutes guys can even seem to get it to work properly.

And trying to get images to display correct now is a joke.

I am convinced that most the people saying they like it, are paid pushers.

You mean to tell me, not one single person, other than me, has a problem with this? There’s no way in God’s green earth, that - that is even a probability in all real life. Which further makes me believe that folks on here are being paid to push this.

Check out this thread to see how much this yours truly “paid pusher” criticised the change that he did not like: [Upgrade to Bubble Version 21] Improved Runtime Performance - #25 by mghatiya

I can guarantee that Bubble is not paying people to push it :joy:.

I agree that images were a bit tougher to grasp than the legacy engine, but you’ll get the hang of it. I tried to learn the new engine three times but gave up each time until I finally grasped it.

Here (New Responsive Engine [beta] is Live! - #668 by mac2) is my post from this thread when it all clicked. Bonus video in that post from @lachlankirkwood1 that pushed me over the edge. Good luck, my guy!

EDIT: @nick.carroll, if you’re paying people to push this, I’d like to get my cut, please :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Sometimes, we let our frustrations get the best of us. When that happens it can always be a good idea to just take a step back. I am getting the hang, and learning something new, and I am starting to see the usefulness of the new engine.

3 Likes

To be fair, its a pretty big departure from the old system, so I can imagine it being frustrating if you really liked the legacy responsive engine. If you are interested, I’d love to learn more about your issues with the new responsive engine. Feel free to send me a DM and we can chat further!

1 Like