[New Thread] More context on our changes to pricing - FAQs answered

When a cool new feature request comes through - “This gives me wunxiety just thinking about it. Denied”

3 Likes

Question on the 18 months…

Does that mean we wont see any pricing change (other than the 10% monthly sub increase) for 18 months? If i have 100,000,000 WU, my bubble cost would still just be $32 for the next 18 months?

1 Like

that’s how I understand it. So you will have 18 months to move off the platform or face punishing bills for your 100m WU. And it means you would of course stop any further dev on your application, as of Thursday.

What happens if you have just signed up for 12month plan, and renew for 12month come April 2024, that’s anyone’s guess… but assuming you can’t when that plan runs out, you’re transitioned to the new structure right away.

1 Like

What do you mean “of course stop any development as of Thursday”?

Currently yes. Hopefully they honor this.
However from what i understand, if you gain more traffic and your current plan doesn’t have enough capacity to support it, you will not be able to switch to a higher plan. You will have to switch to the new pricing system.

1 Like

If you will be leaving the platform in <18months continuing to allocate developing hours on bubble since the announcement was made, is probably not a wise decision. Since it will be throw-away work.

1 Like

So if my WU goes over 175k WU for the starter plan, I would have to upgrade to a plan that allows for it? i assume you mean WU by traffic

1 Like

Nope, i did not mean WU. On the legacy plans there is “Capacity” instead of WUs.

Capacity refers to how much workload your website can process at any given moment.

If traffic on your website increases, you might hit your Capacity and your website will get throttled. This can mean anything from slowdowns on page loads (at best), but also workflows not running (at worst). Workflows not running can be very bad news, especially if the workflow is a critical one.

You can read more about capacity and legacy pricing plans on other forum posts.

Here’s a novel idea. If you actually want to charge a premium for Bubble and you want people to stay, then how about you actually offer a platform that people can run their real businesses on? Are you a legitimate no code platform for real businesses (then build it and we’ll pay) or are you an experimental platform full of half-assed functions to help people “trial” their ideas? At the moment, I’m not sure we know.

There’s a workable business model in either of these two camps, but there isn’t one that successfully straddles them. If you want to charge a premium then give us what we need to run our business…

1. Create a standard for plugins so that they don’t break every few months or so that they actually work.
  2. Get yourselves compliant on GDPR and PCI so that people can feel secure that penetration tests don’t result in having their organizations look non-compliant simply because the platform is non-compliant
  3. Get your uptime up 99.92% is not acceptable
  4. Create real data management tools so that your proprietary database isn’t so difficult to use that editing multiple rows or referencing embedded data wasn’t so darn difficult in the editor.
  5. Get a layout engine that works. I still can’t use the new responsive design because the algorithm for how it works is completely unexplainable and unreliable
  6. Fix this terrible approach you have to iterative processes. I get it, they are expensive, then let us use more performant approaches than an individual list of calls 5 seconds apart!!
  7. Incorporate or at least have an approved framework for mobile application development, the core extension that almost all web based applications need.
  8. Give us a data access model that works for complex queries. I still can’t sort a query by a field that wasn’t in the original data type.
  9. Build logging tools that actually work on chrome (they still don’t) and build them so that you can actually see what’s going on within your application. For example, if you are going to charge per work unit, then the work unit for each page load and query should be visible tot eh developer. We should be able to forecast the price of a website based on complexity if complexity is the way you are going to charge. Not have it be a mystery that is left up to your ability to price. There also needs to be an upper limit so that we are not at the whim of a crazy user or attack that drives the system into overdrive unnaturally.

I’ll accept my 8x increase in pricing if you actually built a system I could rely on.

6 Likes

As agency:
When I present to a client why it’s worth developing in bubble rather than normal code - it’s first of all the matter of price, before the matter of speed, now it’s a significant advantage that we dont have anymore…

As an entrepreneur:
I will not be able to develop my products in the bubble, because I will know that there will be no ability to expand in the current model - for every user who enters I will have to pay and and there will be no room for mistakes in my initiatives! As soon as you take away the entrepreneur’s margin for mistakes - it is very difficult to initiate and become an successful entrepreneur

@josh @emmanuel
you have to understand that now even big customers - with money - will prefer normal code, because with the new price of development in no code, we as a community have no advantage in the market!
Me as a business owner or entrepreneur would prefer to recruit a team of programmers or even a freelancer that would give me the Source code at the end of the project instead of depending on the Company that owns my product for me and the price even in certain situations will be more expensive than development In normal code, beyond the fact that I will be afraid to grow and expand with this model :woozy_face:

5 Likes

I was actually just checking my metrics, and realized that the Airdev template is consuming a lot of WU right now. Which means that this template will now, most likely, be the death of my app.

The solution would be to, of course, check for performance optimizations I can do to the template itself, but that absolutely kills the point of having a template at all. But, at the same time, I’m now locked to the templated so I’m screwed either way. @AirDev any comments on this?

1 Like

Most templates, plugins are going to be hit hard by this bubble move! Do you know what that means? Fewer new users - everything will be more complicated 🫠

1 Like

No, WU by traffic and machine load. So, I user running a really complicated transaction could trigger your limit. Of course, that’s not likely, but the algorithm, while yet to be explained, seems to working off of machine load to Bubble.

Please let us know where you end up.

I think the issue is that bubble got a community going based up a promise that it would be affordable for everyone and now it seems it wont be suitable for them anymore. this is not being spoiled.

if bubble want to go a new direction, then this is a communication issue.
but if they want keep the “small” accounts, then this is more than communication issue.

I totally see the comparison with traditional development, ive done that almost my whole life. But many users here, started to use bubble because they hade made possible for anyone to build something great a fraction of the cost.

It is isn’t just the AirDev Canvas template. There are multiple posts from people who tested apps that simply created one database object and used insane amounts of Workloads. There must be a problem with how Bubble is reporting Workload Usage or every developer will be out of business in 18 months.

3 Likes

Agree

Confirmed. Around ~3,000 - 4,000 workload usage based on a direct test last night for a simple flow doing the following:

• Add 5 lines into databases
  • Make 3-4 changes to one of the lines

For reference, that costs $2.40 - $3.20 for that simple action alone if you want some calculation on the economics here. That is also using their top tier overage calculation.

I would like to run hundreds of that same action daily, which is by no means unreasonable or unoptimized for a growing app.

Try doing it thousands or millions of times if you scale.

7 Likes

Reading between the lines, there seems to be a massive expectations gap between Bubble and many of its users. Simply put:

• Many users are building/launching/running apps in the HOPE of someday maybe getting paid :crossed_fingers:

• With this price change, Bubble will start forcing users to pay up front for all of that hope :money_with_wings:

The $32/month Starter plan now seems like a complete mirage due to the low WU threshold.

:crystal_ball: Pre-revenue businesses with any kind of data processing/display are going to burn through 175k WUs easily despite historically sitting comfortably at/near 0% capacity usage under the current Personal plan. That likely means adding a Tier 2-3 WU plan on top of the Starter plan, with monthly costs jumping to $131-332. That’s a 4x-10x increase, plus the threat of either (a) paying infinitely more if an app isn’t optimized or gets an unexpected boost of (still non-paying) traffic, or (b) capping our spend and casually “going offline until the end of the month”, as if that’s no big thing. Again, this is compared to the current stable state of paying $29/month for what appears to be the exact same features/benefits.

Is this intentional? Does Bubble expect users with historically ~0% capacity applications that previously cost ~$30/month to now pay $130-330/month? If so, please say so directly.

:heart: Non-revenue-generating / passion projects seem totally screwed. I’m guessing a lot of people can justify to themselves or their spouse paying $29/month for a passion project. But at $131/month or $332/month (plus the aforementioned threat of infinite cost / site takedown), it starts to reach “car payment” and “family vacation” levels, and becomes indefensible. So, a serious question:

Does this mark the end of non-revenue-generating / hobby applications built on Bubble? If so, please say so directly.

34 Likes

It me :cry:

3 Likes