NOOB question which is very frustrating!

I’m stuck at the “We’re loading your app…” portion, so I can’t view what you have implemented.

There’s a few ways to implement security. First, you can secure the data (Data > Privacy) to restrict access on objects. Second, you can limit access to actions (by placing conditions on workflows). Lastly, you can restrict what is returned by making sure there are appropriate filters on search results.

Doing the first and third option will help you in your case.

Ok still making progress. https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=start_page&id=luffylearningmodel&tab=tabs-1

If you start at the link above and log in, I have figured out how to make projects specific to the signed in user “I think so at least.”

Once you click a project in the list then you see my framework. If you select Objectives on that screen it will take you to a list of objectives. Here is where my disconnect still lies. How can I make those objectives on that screen specific to the project selected on the login screen.

Please feel free to make edits to the shared model so that I can learn. I think I am struggling with a lot of the language since I literally come with no programming background. Alternatively please share an example which shows a database such as this where user > projects > Objectives > etc…

Thanks and Kindest Regards,

Brad

PS: Be patient with me. I am your core market. Those that dream of building with no programming experience:)

if the Objectives list is a child of Project type (a field of it), then when you open Objectives page from the Project Info page, you pass it the “Current Page’s Project’s” object (set the Objectives page to be of type Project). BTW, if you have space at the Info page you can also list the Objectives there. For subobjectives you’ll need to do the same, but have the page type for them have a type called Objective and get Current Page’s Objective’s Objectives to show at a repeating group

other strategy is making a type called “AsObjectivesOwner” and have both Project and Objective types have a field of this type. However each type you make a Project or Objective you have to make also such an object and pass it to the respective field of Project/Objective (Bubble has a system where you first make the subobject, then make the object you want and set its field to result of previous step in the workflow). Problem when doing this is that when you delete the object you first have to delete the “AsObjectivesOwner” field too and also tell it first to delete its list of Objectives

Awesome!!! So am now finally getting the hang of this. Now when I am creating new objectives that are under a project am I making changes to a thing or a list of things?

I can’t figure out what creating a new objective results in changes to. Since project is under user and objectives is under project I would assume I am making a change to project and not user. However I am unable to figure out the logic behind this.

Make changes to a thing = Add a new objective to a project. Even if you are CHANGING a list (so, add or remove) it is still make changes to thing.

If, for example, you wanted to update every objective on the project, then that is Make Changes to list. So do the same thing to every Objective that is on the Project.

The project. Make changes to the Project (I assume this is the Current Page Project ?) and then “Add” the result of step 1 to the list of objectives on the Project.

1 Like

you can check out

I’ve made a public copy of the current code at:

will delete that again soon and publish again a new copy when I’m finished with CPA’s logic, have to add “e-mail Scores” functionality and I’m done

to read more about CPA see http://ClassProjectAssistant.codeplex.com and follow the links at the home page

I’d hope Bubble allows me at some point in the future to make such a public clone of my app code “readonly” so that one can clone it and work with their clone/fork, but not damage the published clone of my app (I speak of doing this on a clone of my app btw since I don’t want people to see my app’s data values, just the db structure)

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks everyone!!! Making progress now. Would strongly suggest some additional walkthroughs on database development and how to assign ownership over many layers. Really struggled with that one!!

2 Likes

My wife is a teacher “12th grade English” so I am definitely going to show her this CPA project. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

btw, updated the public clone of CPA’s sourcecode and renamed the clone to cpa_opensource from cpa_temporary (so the clone is now https://bubble.io/page?id=cpa_opensource&tab=tabs-1 if you want to see the code).

Current CPA release is almost finished and anytime I change it I’ll clone it (without the data of course, just the data schema) into cpa_opensource deleting the previous published version.

As I wrote above only problem with making a public copy (to opensource your app) is that anyone can damage its source (plus see the database contents of cpa_opensource), so just use that for testing or clone it into your own private copy. Hope option to make a public+readonly clone is added to Bubble in the future

for using the CPA app, do use the official (closed source / closed database) URL from http://bubble.is/site/cpa (and let me know if you find that cpa_opensource source code is broken for you to republish it to cpa_opensource)