?Notification Bell alerts for video uploads?

Hi All,

I have created a site where users create pages (called ‘Projects’) and visitors can upload videos/pics to them. Logged in user’s will need to be notified when a new video or pic has been uploaded to their project page. How do I set up the database and workflow for a notification bell to display a red dot with the number of unread notifications inside of it? I assume I will need a new data type for the notifications but I’m not sure what fields to include or if my existing data types also need to be changed. Also I’d like to understand how the workflow can be setup to make the number inside the notification dot change with each new alert.

This is the header with the notification bell as I would like it to look (that number is just a text placeholder)

My current fields. I’m not sure what fields I will need for the notification type.
image image

Projects Submitted data type. Do I need to add anything here?

Or add something the User data type?

Or change the Video fields?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hey @lukeurie77

You’re right you need a Notifications data type, you’ll need the following fields:

• Read (of type Yes/No)
  • User (of Type User)
  1. In your User data type, add a Notifications field (of type list of Notifications)
  2. Whenever a new video is uploaded to a User’s Project, create a new Notification (with Read = no) and add it that User’s Notifications
  3. The number inside the notification dot should be Current User’s Notifications:count, with constraint Read = no. Make sure your notification dot is only visible when that search’s :count > 0
  4. When your bell is clicked (I guess a focus group including a RG is displayed?), make changes to a list (Current User’s Notifications) > Read = yes

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I will try this and see how it goes. Thanks again.

@lukeurie77 were you able to get it to work?

I also need a similar feature in my app.