Occupancy Counter - Would this crush performance?

I am wondering if Bubble could be used for an Occupancy Counter within a retail environment.

Our client has less than 200 locations, each with two entrances. The idea is to have an employee standing at each entrance and clicking a + or - button with a Bubble app which updates a “net count” data field for a given location data type. It is likely a location would have multiple people/devices updating the same location “net count” Said differently, the same data field would be updated by multiple (less than 5) devices. I would estimate + - buttons would be selected every 10-15 seconds.

This seems like it could have big performance implications. I’d appreciate your opinion on whether this is a good idea or whether I should explore a different solution.

That sounds like pretty much the simplest use case for a bubble app you could get.

I would have thought that if you keep your workflows and page light weight, and use auto binding, it will work fine even on the hobby account.

The best way to determining this would bee to run some stress testing with an app such as https://flood.io/

Please post your results as lots of interest around bubble performance.

Per location or across all locations?

Either way, Bubble should manage this easily.

Should be easy for a bubble app as long as the app stays connected to wifi.

Out of curiousity, why not just use a tried and true manual counter and then just dump in the numbers when the counter’s shift is up?

Also a nerdy thought, if you want more detailed data then you could have every entrance tracked separately and piece of data created for every count/person entering. Allowing you to visualize how busy every single entrance is at different times of the day

Thank you for your comments nfish ,eli, adn gf_wolfer.

The best way to determining this would bee to run some stress testing with an app such as https://flood.io/

I’ll pursue the flood.io route soon and report back.

Per location or across all locations?

The + - button selection would be per entrance (354 in total). At peak I would estimate 24-35 changes (+ or -) per second (354 entrances all pressing a button every 10-15 seconds)

Either way, Bubble should manage this easily.

Thank you.

Out of curiosity, why not just use a tried and true manual counter and then just dump in the numbers when the counter’s shift is up?

Good question. In this scenario knowing the current net occupancy for the whole location is critical to stay within COVID 19 occupancy guidelines, so combining both entrances is important. Knowing this number at any given time is important to facility managers to stagger entry accordingly. You bring up an interesting idea to track entrances separately to gain an understanding of volume per entrance, then combining the two net occupancy numbers into one for the total.

I should note, this is a short term solution. There is certainly robust technology out there which can use cameras or heat mapping to count bodies. The client is needing something fast and cheap.