Only when based on create user/ return user?

Does anyone know how or if I am able to run a step in a work from if a previous step (create user, return if an account already exists) if the user doesn’t exist?

That would simplify my build by a bit.

Thank you!
Benjamin

Is this possible?

Yes, you can use the “Only when” filters to control when a step triggers, although you may have to duplicate.

1. Create (if doesn’t exist) - 2. Make Change to 1 (if doesn’t exist) then 3. Update (if exists) 4. Update 3 (if exists)

If it gets very complicated them have a look at custom workflows.

Hey @NigelG,

Im using the create an account for someone else with return if user exists. I want to send an email to the user if they were just now created. I cant find anything that works. I had one only when that I thought made sense, but it doesnt work. The other suggestions on the forum dont work either. Because the time of creation will always be less than current date and time and never greater than.

Im confused why this isnt built in, but also, how to mimic that as a feature.

Step 1 - Create account - return if user exists
Step 2 - Make changes to user, if they exist
Step 3 - Pw Reset email - only if user didnt exist, only generate token.
Step 4 - Send custom email with token in it only if user didnt exist.

All the best,
Benjamin

Btw, I appreciate any help :slight_smile: thank you!

Hey there. Same problem for me. Did you ever figure it out? I want to send a different message for users created vs. existing users. Thanks!

@lmourasse

Perhaps you can send an email upon a user sign-up

Another idea is to label users as new vs existing. Change them to existing by scheduling this change … say after 60 days. This way you can have new users that you know will turn into existing after 60 days (or whatever amount of time you deem appropriate)

1 Like

That’s a nice idea to label users for the long terms and analytics on active users etc. this way in the backend.

Yes, I think best is to label them before running the workflow and not rely on the “only when” because it does not seem you can “get the result of” despite the documentation saying it will “return” the user (it seems “returning” here means “not running this action”). I am going to build the conditions myself and only run “create a new user for someone else” when I know the user does not already exist in the first place.

1 Like