Order of Operation

Big dawg replied to me by accident :skull:

No home-e I’m talking to you!

1 Like

For my case IDK it was some odd thing where you create something then also need to search and add the Totals of existing things plus the new thing (I think, probably multiple different cases).

Of course there’s workaround like custom events, wish there was like a 2D tree of workflows branching out indicating what’s waiting on what, etc. Bubble is a visual editor of course

I wish you could tell it “IDC about the extra 20ms time” and I know I’m not the first to want it :laughing:

But people are on some serious Copium if they think custom events waiting on each other not being able to return data to each other is an intuitive way for us to make sure actions wait on each others’ completion

2 Likes

I was under the impression like if you’re creating a new data entry, you’d use the result of step x so that the next action won’t execute until there’s an answer. But yea, how would you handle other non-data thingy’s? Idk, me dumby.

1 Like

When Bubble updates its workflow editor GUI, they should design it in a way to visually indicate the order of operations. Little dotted arrows or something. Total redesign of the gui.

4 Likes

Imagine nodes you can move around in free space (on a fine grid so it looks nice) and you just draw lines from outputs to inputs and check “wait for steps X, Y, Z” and conditions being their own block where the path splits depending on yes or no :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

oh I see :drooling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much @JohnMark for confirming this. It would also be good to have this level of detail on documentation of Bubble in addition to the simple sentences that are there currently that custom events run in sequence. That would be even more assuring to get official word.

Yes, I do that where possible, but at times it is not just three actions. There are multiple, and also we keep adding/deleting/merging actions and then everything goes haywire if there are conditions on these things. Also, sometimes A1, A2, A3 will have some conditions in themselves so we can’t put a condition on Result of A1 being non-empty as A1’s result will be non-empty sometimes because of the condition which causes A1 to not run.

Oh yes yes, I just meant to check whether CE3 will run after API1 has been scheduled. When does API1 gets over is a different thing altogether, I understand.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts and current problem. Have you ever found a solution to this?

We migrated our backend off of Bubble, to Xano. In the process of migrating from Bubble Frontend to WeWeb.

Any chance of prioritising a feature where we can indicate a step needs to wait on a previous step to fully complete before commencing?

“only when: previous step is complete” or
“only when: steps 1, 2, 3 are complete”?

This forum is littered with similar issues and wildly inconsistent behaviour and suggestions… Seems like a critical part of a workflow that you need to be able to control the execution of certain steps…

3 Likes

VERY nice! Thanks!

n8n fan spotted! :laughing:
but that would make a difference, indeed. sometimes, when apps grow, it becomes difficult to follow the logics and correlations between workflows. specially for backend workflows, which have a very limited way to debug logic.

3 Likes

I love Bubble, but I’ve spent hours fighting with this until I had to get support and they sent me these tips.

Workflows are just Callback Hell described visually - with the added frustration of Bubble’s opaqueness so you don’t know what’s going on.

If you are a programmer, you can imagine the javascript function that is generated when you create a workflow: a bunch of lines that execute asynchronously but without the control you get with promises and async/await.

Then you get some cheery “tips” from Bubble about how to maybe make things as you’d expect, given how their UI works. And if all else fails, try putting in a delay step. Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Again, love Bubble, but I wish they’d own their failures.

When clicking on the link the message “Page not found” appears. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yup, @tharlesmr, that link is broken. I did a search through the manual, and that content has been moved to here.

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

I am also here, researching the same issue. I want to know the exact order of execution in a workflow. The only way I have solved the problem of inappropriate triggering of the next workflow when one has not finished, is to add the ‘allow pause’ function for 2000 ms in between two workflows. This often gives the system a chance to ‘catch up’ if you will. Seems to work. You just gotta find the sweet spot. Sometimes I have to put a pause workflow for 1000ms in between each workflow.

In the image below, I have a popup on screen load that shows only if a condition is true, however in the same workflow, the condition is changed to true / false (yes / no) in the first order. The system is thinking too fast and does not change the condition before triggering the popup, therefor the popup information is wrong. I solved this problem by placing a pause in between.

this kind of solution just hides the underlying problem instead of fixing it. on your machine the sweet spot is 1s, on a low mobile phone maybe the sweet spot is 5s, there isn’t a single sweet spot.
If workflows are behaving in an unexpected way the solution is to find the problem and refactor to fix it

2 Likes

Hello everybody!
From what I’ve noticed, when I trigger a custom event that has a check in the “only when” field to verify if the user is logged in, all actions seem to wait first for the verification to be true before being executed. And it doesn’t matter if triggering the custom event action is the last step because the first one will be slow. More details below:

I created a workflow for a button to close a popup, and in the next step, it triggers a custom event that updates a client’s field. So far so good; the workflow hides the popup at lightning speed and updates the client’s name.

Problem: I created another button and replicated the same situation. The difference is that, in the custom event, I added a condition (in the ‘only when’ field) to check if the user is logged in. Now, when clicking the button, the first step (hiding the popup) experiences a delay.

Apparently, the delay is caused by the condition I added in the “only when” field of the custom event, although I’m trying to understand how this affects the step of closing the popup since it occurs before the condition check of the custom event. If I remove the condition, everything goes back to normal.

Editor: Laboratoriosemcodar | Bubble Editor
Page demonstrating the popup closing delay: Teste Popup (bubbleapps.io)