PDF Conjurer (updated free plugin, now saving to database)

Hello! This is the first issue of the PDF Conjurer maintenance newsletter, so, hello world! :earth_americas:
This newsletter is also sent directly to sponsors email’s.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor then message me.

Maintenance is needed to keep software working. And in case it is not done, the software suddenly stops functioning.

As there are lots of apps that depend on PDF Conjurer to function daily I launched the maintenance subscription service.
In short, if you want it to continue to work, then fund its maintenance.

Not much is needed.

On one hand, PDF Conjurer is nearing 13k installs, likely this month this mark will be achieved!
It is the top PDF plugin out there, and if you type “PDF”, then this is the one that shows up first. Not what I expected when I first created this plugin!

Now, on the maintenance news itself:

Current number of subscribers funding the maintenance: 1.
Current amount of monthly hours of work: 1.

Previous work done: Search the most urgent work to be done and list it, get the internal mailing done.

Next work planned: Test the server side version of the plugin on a more recent server environment, since the one being used by Bubble now will be deprecated by December 2022 and this will prevent the backend workflow actions to function properly.

Also, look into upgrading the plugin to its latest library version, a library is the engine that runs inside the plugin, to avoid future emergency work due to deprecation of components.

4 Likes

Hey guys!
I would like to customize the space o a multicolumn inside a reapeating structure. I´ve tried the option ‘fit content’ and the option ‘fit available space’ but it does not work.

I have four information inside 1 line. One have to be aligned at the left and the other three at the right.

How can I do this? Thaks in advance!

Hey @vini_brito quick question, is there a way to show text in a pdf like this: “I just want this word to be bold” (a partial part of the text to be bold). I have tried to write the text in the editor using the [b] label but the word doesn’t go bold, it just shows the label (like in the image).

@raketenstart Yeah check “Parse BBCode”.

Hiya,

This plugin has been really helpful so thank you. I just have a question about the position of text on the pdf. I am aware that margins can be used to position the text around the pdf page (from the start point at the top left of the page), but is it possible to fix the coordinates of text on the pdf . This is because at the moment the margins act from other elements rather than the pdf page itself. Is there a way therefore to either fix text position to a certain coordinate on the PDF or is it possible for the margins of the text to ignore other elements on the page. I hope that makes sense.

Many thanks, Samuel

I’m hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction as I’m struggling with creating a pdf from the server side. I can create a pdf from the client side but it’s a little slow and I need to use the server side to improve the UX.
I’ve tried following the guide and looked at the different examples but I’m not having any luck.
I’ve stripped out all the dynamic content and should only be creating a PDF with the header & footer, but I can’t even create that.

Olá!. estou utlilizando dois grupos repetidores ainhados um dentro de outro, o primeiro é referente a categorias e dentro dessas categorias eu posso ter várias coisas. A quantidade de categorias e de coisas são dinamicas. Como posso exibir essas informações no pdf conjur. Basicamente uma tabela de tabelas

I’ve been messing around with this for a week now and still struggling with the serverside creation, I’ve also tried following the steps outlined in this other thread but I’m not having any luck.

It looks like the content is being generated but the pdf is not.

I’ve created the Upload_pdf file, but have no idea if it’s doing anything.

@rory.mulligan :wave:

Looks like you are missing the authentication part so the upload_pdf workflow will work. You need to create an API key for your app in settings. Then put the key into the place that says Authentication on the upload workflow step. I’m not at my computer right now to take some screen shots. Let me know if this helped or if you need the screenshots to understand more fully. :blush: You are almost there!

2 Likes

You have to create 2 workflows:

1. From Start PDF > Insert elements and format > To Conjure PDF

IMPORTANT: You have to set “yes” into the field “Save to database” when you setup the Conjure PDF step

1. Go to create a new element workflow > Then PDF Model finished uploading and is available in the element state. You should choose which element will be sent to the database (the element is the recently created PDF).

Then just create a one-step workflow to save the PDF in a specific database location, instead of the general “File manager”. Go to "Data (Things) >> Make changes to thing…"

Finally, you should define where your PDF will be recorded AND choose the option “This PDFModel’s Saved PDF’s URL

2 Likes

Thanks @J805 , that’s where I was going wrong.
This was the first time I’ve had to create an authentication key, so I didn’t fully understand the instructions.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice @caique; however it was the server side that I was struggling with.
I was able to get the client side to work fine. I’m still finding my way around the backend workflows. I have lots to learn.

Now that I can generate a blank pdf on the server side, I can’t seem to populate the content like I can on the client side.
On the client side, I can trigger other workflows within my conjure PDF workflow; however, when I try to repeat the same in the server side, it doesn’t work.

Is there another way of doing this?

This is the main workflow which will trigger another workflow up to 25 times.

This is what I’m trying to trigger.

When I try to enter in the “Previous step result” for the Conjure PDF action, it doesn’t recognise any of the triggers.

Hi @vini_brito
I want to make my PDF private using the backend WF.
From what I see it must be attached only to one type of thing “User”, is there any reason that it must a user?
I attach the files to different type of things, ie: in my case it would be to an “Organization”
Could you maybe let us choose the type ?

1 Like

Hi Vini,

Did you ever make any progress with this?

Occasionally when using the plugin the PDF won’t be created and I believe it’s because of an image which has been uploaded by a user in webp format rather than jpeg or png. It would be great if I could send them as jpegs with the imgix function when generating the PDF rather than converting all uploads when users add the images in the first places.

Hi Josh! No, not on this one.

Hell @vini_brito. I’m really struggling with the final part obtaining the .pdf file back.

Here’s my full workflow

Here I’m calling upload_pdf API to upload the pdf

Here’s how the upload_pdf look like

Here I’m writing file URL to db

That’s how I’m trying to retrieve a file URL data back from API

My final logs represents that file URL added to db nicely but nothing in response from API

I don’t have a clue what should I do to:

1. Get back a file URL from API
  2. Automatically start downloading the PDF from this URL

Please help

2 Likes

Aww man, the cat really got to my heart :sweat_smile:
I wish I had some spare time to build a great example and tutorial on getting the PDF from the backend workflow.

Well, it seems like you are already generating the PDF and getting its URL, so the plugin part is done! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

What do you want to do with that link now? Get the user to download it? If so, just open that link in a new tab, or place the link in the page for the user to click.

1 Like

I’ve figured it out. That was my actually first day on bubble so I may ask silly questions.

I’ve added an API Connector part to get data on front and everything worked :slight_smile:

Some kind of tutorial on that would be really for newbies like me. I mean, the core value of the plugin is to download the PDF finally . So few samples of use cases like:

• automatically download pdf
  • set the link on the page with downloadable pdf

Would be pretty handy for those like me :smiley:

2 Likes

Can the advance table be used in the repeating structure? Not seeing an option on start advanced table or end advanced table : /

Thanks in advance!