Performance gained by moving from multiple integrations to a single one such as segment.com?

Hi. Curious what performance differences, if any, folks have experienced consolidating integrations to a single service like Segment.com. Currently, we have “run javascript” actions that route our data to two different services. If we were using Segment, we could run a single action and have Segment route the data. At what point is it the right time to use a service like Segment to handle the integrations?

In my experience, the fewer steps you have in your workflow for a single action (/trigger), the better the page will perform. I’ve never used Segment, however, so I’m not sure what their workflows are like in comparison… Doesn’t hurt to try it though. You can clone your app so you can run your tests without affecting the live one.

Also, to expound… even too many short workflows running side by side simultaneously can negatively affect performance. So for example, if you have 10 events all triggered by "do when true > entire page loaded is “no,”’ you’re going to notice more lag than you would if there was only one event tied to that action. But, if all you’re doing is sending data, and don’t need to immediately call it from Bubble afterwards, I’d go with Segment. That way your app stays clean with one action and Segment will take care of the time-consuming stuff.

Hey @kramwe,

We narrowed down our analytics in the past year from 3 integrations down to just Segment. Distribution to Mixpanel for segmenting and Redshift for warehousing beyond Segment gave us quicker load times client-side and more control over data flow, not to mention less implementation going from one service to the next. :slight_smile:

2 Likes