Please help! Server capacity usage details very mysterious

Hello Bubble Community!

I’m looking at my Server Capacity Usage chart and I cannot quite understand what the pie chart means. If you see my attached screenshot, 70% of our web request usage is consumed by the “Other” category. This seems to be a bug, I cannot click and reveal details about what “Other” entails:

1. Please see the attached screenshot for the details.
  2. This entails at least 67.9% of our application performance. We use bubble to provide a valuable service to customers that needs to be reliable!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!24%20PM

2 Likes

To be 100% honest, I think this would be something worth sending via email to the bubble team. I haven’t even seen this before. :rofl:

Thanks @nicpagonis! That’s true :slight_smile:, but figured if anyone knew in the community it’d be even better.

What we put in the others are background tasks that run to maintain your app (it can be backups, triggering scheduled actions, etc.). They are in the other buckets because we currently don’t have a way to let you optimize them, but they are necessary. As we gather more usage data we’ll work on showing what they are and find levers to optimize them (but for backups, for instance, that may not be possible).

1 Like

@emmanuel thank you for the response! I think it is very important to be able to at least see the breakdown of the “Other” category. Over the last 6 hours, it’s been 92% of our CPU usage, which hasn’t dropped below 20%. That means this accounts for a minimum of 18% of our CPU, which seems to be a high value! Some details would help us feel much better.

We’ll add more over time, but most of them aren’t necessarily something you can compress, so it may not actionable for the time being

@emmanuel are there services that you may offer so that we may optimize our application with respect to these metrics then? When we are using our application at maximum capacity, the “Other” section still takes up 70% of our overall CPU. We need to understand what this is being used for, since it is a huge detriment to our performance.

These items are mostly backend ongoing processes, like backups. Right now we don’t expose ways to optimize them, but we will over time. It’s not a quick fix though.

Thank you for the response. I have a couple of follow up questions:

You say that “[you] don’t expose ways to optimize them”. Does this mean that no matter what the code we developers write, the exact same amount of CPU will be used by “Other” category? Is it associated with the number of workflows run?

You also say that “[you] will over time”. What is that timeline? It is really important that we have the insight into these processes. It’s a lot of CPU, and we cannot just accept that it is an “ongoing process”. Frankly speaking, that is too vague for us to make educated decisions.

I take his responses to mean, “There’s nothing you can do about it, it’s on the Bubble side.”

1 Like

Logically speaking, we would still have no guarantees about how much of this CPU we actually are able to use. At worst case, we could purchase more CPU and but see an even higher percentage of the CPU being used by the Bubble background processes. At such a point we’d be right back at this conversation to figure out what the “Other” category exactly entails.

Let’s not kick the can down the road. We have to know exactly what the “Other” Category is, or it has to an insignificant portion of our overall CPU usage.

Hey @gbannister, you’re absolutely right that if “Other” is using a huge chunk of your app’s capacity while you’re under a lot of load, that’s a problem that we need to help you with.

The reason we call it “Other” is because in the background, Bubble does a hundred different little things behind the scenes (various forms of data optimization, backups, cleaning stuff up, etc) to keep your app running smoothly, and breaking each of them out would make the chart unreadable.

When your app is not using much capacity, sometimes you’ll see “Other” be big, because if not much is going on your app, the little background processes take up a big total percent of the time. That’s not a problem, and there’s no need to worry about it.

However, if your app is busy (using at least 40% of your total capacity), and “Other” is still the majority of the time, that’s potentially a problem. If you see that, you should send an email to support@bubble.is, ideally with a) the name of the app, b) the time period (and timezone) you’re seeing this, c) screenshots of both the “Average CPU usage against the available capacity (%)” chart and the capacity pie chart, and d) anything you know about what was going on during that time with your app.

If you’re familiar with using the Chrome’s network inspector tab, you can also send us the body of the “https://bubble.io/appeditor/get_usage_data2” network request that gets sent when the chart is re-built: that’s the raw data we use to populate the chart, and that’ll get the quickest response from the Bubble team since that makes it easy for us to investigate.

I should also add that we make a best-effort basis to make sure when you buy additional server capacity you get good value, but we can’t guarantee specific performance targets. Every app is different, and we’re constantly changing the backend technology to add more features and make things more efficient. So the level of performance that a given number of units will buy you will change over time (hopefully mainly for the better!), and will be different depending on what your app is doing.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.