Plugin Announcement: Engage your customers with OneSignal web notifications

Thanks @sam8 and to OneSignal!

Looking forward to trying it. In the manual instructions, why do we have to select “My site is not fully HTTPS”? What’s missing? Thanks.

1 Like

This is amazing @sam8 and @eve! Great job! It works for web apps. However, I’m trying to send push notifications to an Android app (which is a Bubble web app encapsulated with Jasonelle and uploaded to Google Play), and no notifications are received on the same device when using this mobile version of the same Bubble website. The thing is I can see on Bubble logs that the push notification is sent properly to OneSignal plugin. Could it be, @JohnMark, that this is related to the browser not being detected by OneSignal?

Anyway, even if the notification would be delivered, if a user tap on it, he/she would go to the web version rather than to the app version, unless there’s some way to create a deeplink or equivalent O_o

1 Like

@sam8, this is incredible. Thank you and the bubble team for this.

Couple questions.

1.) When I set this up, I got it to prompt me on my safari browser. If I click “do not allow”, is there a way to prompt again, or is it restricted from prompting again? The reason I ask is because I clicked “do not allow” and I could not get it to trigger again, until I used a different browser. If a user declines do they need to reverse course in their browser’s setting? Or is there some way we can ask them to opt in again via our app ?

2.) Are we able to use an expression to retrieve from OneSignal whether the user’s notifications are enabled on their device? I am thinking in regards to conditionals and “only when”.

3.) Can user devices (or test devices) that already were in our OneSignal prior to the plugin install be able to be notified by OS notification in a workflow action? Or does every user need to freshly opt in after the plugin is installed, since there might be a new PID assigned per each device by OS. I hope that makes sense.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Hi @marktuff!

1. Prompting again after rejecting notifications can only be done after a certain amount of time has passed, varying from browser to browser. There are restrictions in place that prevent prompting too frequently on different browsers to reduce spam. If you want to see the prompt again, you can clear history and refresh the page. For simplicity’s sake, we didn’t create an additional opt-in functionality in this first iteration, but if the need is pressing we could consider adding it down the line.

2. In this iteration of the plugin, you cannot. However, OneSignal notifications fail safely - if you send a notification to a user who has declined permission, it shouldn’t produce an error or problem within your app. Rather, the notification would simply not send. If you need to know whether a particular user is opted in, you can check in the OneSignal dashboard. This, however, is for the one-off check, not something that can be used in a workflow.

3. Users already in your OneSignal app should be able to receive notifications by filter or segment. However, their Bubble User ID will not be associated with their OneSignal data, so sending notifications directly to them is not feasible unless they opt in again. For existing users, it might be best to use tags to associate their Bubble data with the existing records in OneSignal.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have further questions.

2 Likes

Hi @eurogar

I recorded yesterday my ios onesignal thing. Jasonelle will work very well with her. I do not have time to apply it at the moment, but surely in January. There are some configurations! :slight_smile:

OneSignal config:

2 Likes

That’s great news, @JohnMark! :smiley: I see for iOS you need a .p12 file (Production Push Certificate), but for Android you need to configure it with a “Firebase Server Key” and a “Firebase Sender ID”. So I guess Jasonelle would need to be integrated with Firebase to make this work on Android?

1 Like

I don’t think so it’s related with Jasonelle. You simply need to pass the value from your Bubble app to Jasonelle to Android. I’m still fresh in it :wink:

1 Like

What a great xmas present!
Looking forward to try it out soon!

Hi @sam8 thanks for the reply!

Do you know / or can you confirm whether this plugin can also work with web view wrappers that incorporate OneSignal App ID’s, for mobile PUSH notifications? Or is that another can of worms altogether? Thanks!

Hi @sam8, bumping this thread to see if you can respond to my last question :slightly_smiling_face: on whether this is strictly for browsers, and cannot be used for mobile push.

Doble Bumping on Marktuff’s post

1 Like

Hi @marktuff and @chad! This plugin is only for use in web browsers. Mobile push notifications for wrappers are not available with this plugin for the time being. Let me know if you have any further questions!

3 Likes

Hi @sam8 , thanks for the response! Thought so, but wasn’t sure if there was some workaround.

For some reason I can’t get this working on iOS-devices.
I tried with both Safari and then Chrome an iPhone and an iPad but the prompt to allow notifications won’t appear.

I can send notifications from iOS-devices that appear on the others I’ve enabled (android phone and pc w chrome). So I know that bit works fine from iOS-devices.
It’s enabling notifications on iOS that does not.
Read through the documentation but couldn’t see anything there.

Is there something I’m missing?

Web notifications don’t work on iOS it’s an Apple thing

Bummer. Hope they enable it soon.
Luckily most of my users are on Android rather than iOS.

Is there some way of getting notifications on iOS at all?

+1 I would like to know

I think there is some way to do it when wrapping the app, there is settings within the wrapper

Let’s get one thing straight: There is no difference between “web apps” and “native apps”… save for notifications.

SO, if Apple enables notifications, there’s no more walled garden.

Do you see the issue now?

Of course, the enabling TECHNOLOGIES for notifications (web workers) create a plausible deniability scenario for Apple.

“Multi-threaded applications consume battery life. JS is single-threaded. We can’t have heretics in the garden, now, can we? The battery life is the way.”

Solution: DO NOT PLAY THE GAME.

Unfortunately a large part of the world does play the game by owning Apple devices

1 Like