[PLUGIN] - Google Maps Geometry/Drawing + W3W

Hey all !

Might be simple to others, but i’m having a hard time setting this up to show a list of “pins” with dynamic radius - could someone throw me a hint ? Thanks

Can you throw a few screenshots of how you have things setup and I’ll give you a hand with it.

1 Like

Hi,

I am building a delivery app were stores define their delivery zones, ideally by drawing them in a Google map.

Users should only see the stores which have a delivery zone that includes the user’s current location (as per the documentation of this plug-in, this would be sort of a “contain location” check but in a backend workflow)

Will this plug-in allow me to do this? How?

Thanks!

Yep, pretty sure you can do that. The contains location action is available as both client/server side versions. You can either feed a single address or a list of address, and then give it an area to look inside (any of the shapes). It will either update a state with Yes/No (if supplying a single address) to tell you if it’s inside/outside the boundaries of the shape, or if you’re feeding the action with a list of address, then it returns only those addresses from the original list that reside within the shape instead. Any problems with either of them, just let me know.

1 Like

Nice to see this thread alive here! Great work @pork1977gm

In regards the markers, is it possible to use user profile photos or company logos to display them dynamicly? Yes, it is, but usually there are larger images, that if fetched, appear quite large on the map.

Trying to figure out thesedays if there is a way to resize a dynamic image value to a smaller size, for example 64x64, so that on maps here appears with proportionate size. Is there already pre-built option in the plugin? Or another turn around way by someone?

Thanks!

hi @another Cheers! :slight_smile:

I know that map markers are supported in certain formats only, but if you can convert your profile images to a format it likes then I see no reason why that wouldn’t work. I thought I added some sort of default marker scaling option actually, but I just checked and it’s not there (I could add one though).

If you have the images already, I recommend you convert them anyway, because you’ll want to make the file sizes as small as possible. Scaling a larger image down in size may look alright on the map, but the actual file size will still be the same and if you have loads of them all rendering, it will kill performance and you don’t want to set yourself for a headache in the future, especially as you may end up having lots of markers on a map! potentially :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes sense! Definitelly we want to keep the size image (pixels, and MB) as less as possible here!

So I guess, icons are perfect, as we are using now, however for greater experience “marker pin” dynamic image would be great to have.

I guess, next option for us would be to have different images (icon-size) for different categories, although good idea here!

Meanwhile in another thread: Dynamic image resizing - #11 by troy.roberge

Hey there! I just purchased your plugin (great job by the way), I am curious. Is it possible to restrict the users from drawing more than 1 shape in a same map. I mean, I’d like that if there is already in a shape in the map, then drawing is disabled. In order to draw, the user would have to delete the shape that is in the map.

Please let me know, thanks!

Hi, thanks :slight_smile:
Good question, I’ve not actually tried that. I suppose you might be able to do it once a shape is drawn then inside the event which triggers, set a state value. When it’s set then run the action to disable the drawing tool or something.

If you’re using custom drawing tools like I’ve done in the demo page then you can just make the elements non-clickable.

I’d have a play around with it. There’s no native way to do what you want so you’d have to get imaginative with states etc but I can have a go at trying to do it sometime nearer the end of the week for you.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks for replying Paul! I just managed to do it by disabling the drawing ui when a shape was drawn :+1:

1 Like

You’ll want to resize it then use the new smaller version. Marker images need to be as small as you can possibly get them (file size) to ensure they load quickly and multiple images don’t slow down the rendering when you have lots.

1 Like

hello. nice to meet you.
Can you refer to a video lecture or YouTube video on how to use it?
Or, is it possible to study PDF files or manuals on how to use it?

Hi Jin,

I’m afraid I haven’t created any type of learning content videos for the plugin.

There is a lot of content in this thread though which may help, and I’ve utilised all the document sections under each config item inside the plugin which should also help.

There’s the demo page too.

Paul

Loading GeoJSON can now be done through the “Load GeoJSON” action.

Using the Google sample it looks like this (with fill, stroke and a little transparency set)

As of this time, the shapes added through this action don’t have any of the events which are tied into the other types of shapes that can be drawn using the drawing tools.

At some point, I’ll add them which will give the ability to move, resize and calculate other metrics or get coordinates and that.

Hey @pork1977gm

I just installed your plugin because I want to display polylines that i get from a google directions API call. I can’t workout if this is possible to do with you plugin? If it is, how can I do that?

Thanks
Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

What does the data look like for the polyline? PM it through to me and I’ll test it and figure out what’s going on. You should be able to do it.

Paul

Hi, got your email, reply on here if it’s easier!

hello! im a bit of a noobie and i was wondering if there was a way to end one polyline and start another one without creating a new collumn in the data base, thank you!

Hi @twork56789

Can you give us a bit more info on what you mean, I don’t think I’m understanding you correctly.

The draw shape action will allow you to draw a polyline onto the map with a set of coordinates, you can run that as many times as you like to draw them if you have the coordinates from a previously drawn shape.