Put single element into a group

Hi

Sometimes it’d be useful to put a single element in a new group . The new group having the exact same size and position as the element.

In other words the ‘group elements into a group’ feature in the builder is very useful can could also be used for a single icon, text, etc…

Cheers

2 Likes

I second the idea

Why not draw a group and place the element in the group. The can then drag the group smaller to be the same size as the element.

2 Likes

I’m curious why you’re looking for this functionality. What is it you are currently unable to do that this will allow you to do? The solution of making a one-item group feels super hacky, but if you were to explain what your desired outcome is, I’m sure Emmanuel and company would come up with a non-hacky implementation that makes sense.

One of the things I like about Bubble when teaching people is that it uses common language. When we use the word “thing,” people grasp it. When we use the term “group,” people intuitively understand that that means “more than 1.” I think it’d be funky to right click a single element and tell it to group itself, and I’d have a heck of a time explaining that to some of my clients.

1 Like

The responsive engine treats the groups differently. I’ve had many issues with elements not in groups showing in a completely different area on the screen from what was specified in the designer when it’s not in a group.

Got it, so to put it in another way:

• In the responsive engine, single elements behave differently than groups, even if groups only have 1 element in them
  • The behavior of a 1 element group is more desired than the behavior of a single element
  • You want to be able to make a single element behave the same way as a 1 element group

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining! It’s a lot easier for me to wrap my head around the request if I understand what you’re hoping to accomplish with it. The real problem you have here isn’t missing the grouping action, it’s that single elements don’t behave how you want them to. Right?

1 Like

Yes, that’s been my experience, and reason, for grouping single elements. Not sure if @sylvainprivat has a different reason for the request.

Yes, I have exactly the same reason.

Some behaviors are available in groups and not in single elements. For instance ‘collapse this element height when hidden’.

Therefore to use those behaviors I need to put a single element in a group, which is feasible but can be very cumbersome sometimes for small elements or crowded screens (at the end it is a productivity issue but it seems easy to add…)

I don’t know if the difference in available options come from bubble of lower level, this is why I proposed the easy way which is maybe not the best way I agree.

2 Likes

I do it for the ecstatic same reason. To hide elements

Yeah I can see why this is useful. I’ll add that today.

3 Likes

I think it would also be helpful to be able to add a single element to an existing Group (not by dragging it, but selecting the group from a list). Reason being that it’s sometimes very hard to select several elements (particularly if there are a lot of them) and group them together.

This way, you could choose just 2 elements, group them, then select a third element, add it to the group (selecting the group from a list), select a fourth element, add it to the group (selecting the group from a list)…and so forth.

3 Likes