Recurring Email Reminder - Workflow

In the example I’ll share you would utilize both types of API workflows, albeit setup slightly differently than you have shown in your screenshots.

1. Keep the Send email action on your Endpoint workflow

2. Remove Send email action from your Recurring workflow

3. Add a Schedule API Workflow achievement-emails-true on a list action to the Recurring workflow

Essentially whats going to happen is: once a month the Recurring workflow will run, and this workflow will be responsible for querying an up-to-date list of Users with a field marked YES (ionic toggle = true) and then scheduling the Endpoint’s Send email action to run at the Current date/time. I’m not sure if this way of scheduling on a list is redundant, it’s just how I ultimately decided to do this on one of my apps. I wanted to prevent the need for one recurring event to exist per user (which would result in hundreds or thousands of separate recurring workflows), in this scenario I’ve outlined there’s only one event in total which then triggers a normal Endpoint to run on a list. Here’s an example of a yes/no field being used in a List to run on search within a Recurring API workflow (in my case the API Endpoint is called send_email and not achievement-emails-true):

b7fc58064c90459eb2386e3dc5714a63

Let’s say you wanted to send a monthly email on the 1st of every month. In this case, WHERE you would trigger this (IMO) would be on an admin dashboard you have access to when logged in as you. Create a button on this dashboard tied to a workflow that triggers a recurring event (essentially creating one place where you, the admin, can start a monthly recurring event). Here is an example of how this would function:

Because my API Recurring event is set to accept type “User” I have to put a User in Workflow thing, for simplicity’s sake I selected Current User. Frequency is Monthly, and in Start date you can see we’re dynamically configuring when that monthly event should kick off. In this case it would be February 1st at 12pm in my current User’s timezone. You can do more after this action, such as storing the recurring workflow ID. But since you’re the admin and it’s a single Recurring event, it’s pretty easy to edit or remove this in your app’s editor under Logs → Scheduler.

1 Like