Renaming list operators with :each item

Thanks for sharing, noted this as a feature request, so we can consider this in our future product roadmap :slight_smile: and feel free to add these ideas to our Ideaboard, so other users can upvote them!

Hmmm hate to be the negative Nancy but I’m sure everyone would have preferred this time spent on the PDF plug-in, maintaining the bubble plugins or something more useful than making things more confusing for people who weren’t confused to start off with

2 Likes

In my experience, newer Bubble users don’t know to hover the dynamic expression to see the evaluator. It actually took me a couple of years to randomly see it.

I believe Bubble’s goals are to become more intuitive and user friendly for newer Bubblers to increase the user base. I personally think this will make it so.

I also feel confident enough at this stage in my use of Bubble to not be overwhelmed by the change and that I’d be able to read through the expression just as easily as if it weren’t there.

And to be completely honest, About 2 weeks ago I made a comment to a Bootcamp session that I wish Bubble made it easier to know if the data field I created that is a list was a list while putting together a dynamic expression. Maybe Big Brother is listening :face_with_monocle:

Precisely why I include it in my training material; although as I mentioned in this thread, I suspect most users do actually trigger it (it’s hard not to) but simply don’t “notice” what it’s telling them (hence the reason for my recommendations regarding its appearance).

Also, FWIW, this feature was introduced about 2.5 years ago, so it hasn’t been around since Bubble’s inception. Even long-time users might be “overlooking” it.

Just a little education and awareness raising are all that’s needed IMO– not a language change.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Sending a quick update! We heard your feedback and made some small changes outlined below.

1. We have hidden :each item:converted to list as this operator is a bit repetitive if you’re using it on a list of things. If you’re using :converted to list on existing dynamic expressions, the operator will still appear and work properly in the dynamic expression, but it won’t show on the dropdown. :converted to list will still appear if you’re using it for Single Option:converted to list, but it won’t appear for All Options:converted to list since All Options is already a list.

2. For readability, we now show :each item in the dynamic expression only the first time it’s relevant. If :each item applies immediately in following list operators, it will not be shown in the dynamic expression.

We hope that these modifications make the language change informative but less intrusive!

4 Likes

This has to be the biggest pet peeve I have with the bubble language. Would love an explanation on how “isn’t live” came about.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Isn’t it the truth?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the feedback to heart. The changes are definitely an improvement.

I have another request that I think would be a further refinement. It seems to me that the word “item” isn’t really needed. What about simply each Creator, each Slug, etc? And for lists, where it doesn’t “read well”, simply add a “List of” prefix; so it would read each List of Tags, each List of Likes, etc.

These recommendations would, in my view:

• Visually simplify the menu listing further by eliminating a superfluous word.
  • Convey the same meaning with fewer words and less redundancy.
  • Be consistent with the “type tips” that appear when hovering an expression.
  • Result in fewer trips to my therapist to treat my Bubble-induced OCD. :crazy_face:

What do you think, @grace.hong?

-Steve

1 Like

The original “is not not not live” was to complex. So they simplified it.

1 Like