Restrict to one viewer/screen at a time

Hey guys,

I’m currently building an app where people connect “screens” to show the page on.
This is done through a match up PIN (Think how Kahoot! does it). Since I want to know how many screens they connect, the PIN is deleted after it is “matched up”.

But, the URL is still visible, so people can potentially just copy this URL and paste it onto however many places they like. Is there any way to restrict this access?

The “wanted” workflow:

• Create a Screen
  • Connect with Pin
  • Pin is deleted
  • URL copied
  • URL pasted somewhere else. Unable to connect, since screen is used elsewhere.

So you want the URL to be deleted after the user views?

Well no; the URL needs to exist. I just don’t want the URL to be used again somewhere else.

Okay, so you want a pin to be generated for a “screen” and then automatically delete upon use?

The app already generates a one-time PIN that is deleted when it is used.

The problem is that the URL can still be copied, which means one could just copy the URL and paste it into another sceen. (Without using PIN). Maybe there is some kind of cookie involved here.

I have a few ideas but they’re not really good.

if referrer URL is [URL A]
then
load [this page, URL B]
else
redirect.

Pass a a parameter upon form entry from [URL A] to [URL B].

If parameter = true
then
load this page
else
redirect.

The problem with the latter is that URL params are also easy to copy. It might be something here with a web of auto generated PINs… but it doesn’t feel like the best way.

What if you made the actual URL temporary?

Like it changes after the pin has been used.

That would be a good idea; the problem then is that the link cannot refresh (ie. Push updates.)
I understand this may become complicated. Luckily, I don’t need to think about it before an eventual scale phase.

@karl.myrvang Not sure if I get the idea properly but how about you try adding counters?

e.g. X link is only usable for 1 user. You mentioned that the app already generates a one-time pin but the URL can still be copied. How about you add a counter field? You then make changes to that field during Page load

You then add conditionals on page load e.g. when X field is not empty, redirect user to Error 404 page or something.

Let me know if it works, would be glad to bounce ideas off each other

I’ve taken it a couple of steps further.
The idea now is to build an easy webview app in Android and pass the Device ID through to Bubble. A lot of more work, but also pretty solid solution.

Thanks for all the help so far!

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.