Saving GPS location not Address

“Current position” … Scroll down a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I can see it now. :smile:

1 Like

So, just to be clear, there is no way to use a latitude and longitude to plot a point on a google map?

I took a recent trip to Ireland and took some pictures in uncommon places. My pictures are geo-tagged which is correct when I look up the degrees, minutes, seconds. But when I enter the decimal degrees for latitude, longitude in to my app, the app maps it to the closest address, which seldom is correct.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

By the looks of it, this behavior has changed since October time.

As you say, it now seems to have some quantisation to an actual address.

I had previously managed to get a precise lat/long working …

And that worked (sort of) by stepping the marker across the map.

Sadly I have now deleted that page, so can’t compare between now and then.

Yes right now thing work with addresses. We could look into adding this, but we need to think a little about it first. Please email us to see what we can do.

I think it used to save the actual lat/long but the nearest address. You could certainly pull back the same position from the address as you saved. But now you can see the lat/long change.

So…Current Position isn’t current position anymore. It is “nearest address to current position” it seems when saved as an address.

Isn’t quite so much adding, as putting back how it used to be :smile:

Although what seems different is that I can’t set an address to be a lat/long now.

I can enter lat/long in an address type input field … but if you then pull out the lat/long for the address then it has been transformed into the lat/long at the address.

That isn’t too bad, as I could pull out the lat/long into new data fields.

What I now can’t do is display them on a map at that position.

It would be useful to be able to separate position from address.

We’re pushing now a formula that lets you go from coordinates the an address (including the formatted address, if available). That way, you can display coordinates on a map.

Pick ‘Calculate Formula’ in the dropdown and then ‘Coordinates to Address’.

5 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, having another play with this and … I am confused.

It used to be that “current location” stored the current GPS and the nearest address. And it would display the GPS position on the map.

And then something changed, and when you displayed the address on a map it showed the marker at the nearest address not the GPS position. So location quanitsed to addresses.

But now it has been put back the way it was ? Is that right ?

This new “Coordinates to Address” just allows you to store an address with a lat/long (for example two input fields) so you don’t have to have separate fields ?

Or am I missing something ?

The formula is here to convert a duo lat/lon into an address that Bubble understands, puts on a map, etc. What you do with it (save it, etc.) is up to you.

This seems to solve the issue that I’m hoping too solve… But I can’t seem to figure out the type settings as it keeps giving me an issue.

What is wrong with the below settings?

Lat/Long values is of type = text thing = airport

I assume setting of the map must be ‘google places’?

Or what am I supposed to set each element too while using this ‘calculate formula’ to arrive at a fixed address to populate on google maps?

How is this feature functioning right now?

I’m about to start a new project where the ability to track and use precise GPS coordinates is vital to mark landscape features and trees and display them on a map. Can that be done?

Hello,

Which feature are you talking about? You can certainly extract GPS location from address, and go from coordinates to addresses.

Hi!

I’m talking about the function of displaying coordinates on the map. When I have saved some objects with precise coordinates, can these be displayed on the map by the same coordinates (e.g. two trees separately with a distance of 7 meters between them are displayed as separate markers when zooming close enough) or are the coordinates translated to address and displayed as a generic address marker (e.g. the same two trees are on the same address therefore the map markers overlap and are displayed at the address derived from the coordinates)

Thanks!

We have a formula that lets you enter two coordinates (can be dynamic) and return an address that can be displayed on a map. See the formula option in the first drop down of the expression composer.

1 Like

So I am getting the Current Location/ Formatted/ Address into a text field. This works great.

But when I assign that address to a Map element it does not show the marker in the correct location. Looks like it lands in Antartica and I am not testing from there (no good internet connection there).

The value in the field looks OK. I checked my receiving Group and I can display the address correctly, just won’t show in the map. Is this a bug?

1 Like

The same happened to me. Try using “,”(comma) instead of “.”(dots) to separate decimal places on your coordinates.

3 Likes

I have the same issue as @JustinC. I have a list of things that comes from an API call with Latitude and Longitude fields. I want to display those things on a Map, but I can’t because the “Address Field” in the Map does not have a “insert dynamic data” option. And doing it the way Justin was trying to do does not work either.

Are there any plans on Bubble’s features to get this working? I have a project that I cannot release because of this issue :frowning_face:

This plugin is great for this.

@jarrad Thanks, but I’m not looking for a paid solution.