Search: count is 0? Or Search:first item is empty?

Change to “search:count < 1”

1 Like

thanks for the heads up. thought it, but wrote it wrongly… already corrected to avoid confusing ppl.

Hi @nick.carroll did team look at it? Did they acknowledge that it is indeed an issue? Would be keen to hear about plans on fixing it.

And also curious to know what other such easter eggs are lying around.

@mghatiya for what it’s worth, I did hear back from Bubble’s support regarding this about 3 weeks ago, stating that they were working on a fix, but that the fix for this could be a breaking change… so they were doing their due diligence before rolling it out…

3 Likes

Thanks @adamhholmes

2 Likes

Hi @adamhholmes did you hear back from Bubble’s support team yet?

Most events with these types of conditions are events where we search the DB if a thing exists with x constraints and depending on the result, we do y.

I have a frontend workflow with multiple actions that have these types of searches. These actions trigger different custom events.

My question is will the actions wait for the searches to finish and output a yes or no before triggering each custom event?

Right now, since we are still in development, it works just fine and relatively fast since we have a small number of objects in the DB but once we go live and create more objects, would it be possible that the subsequent actions with these search conditions won’t be able to wait for the previous search and action to finish?

Or will it really wait for the previous action to finish since we’re using a custom event?

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Custom events run in sequence, always, I believe. That means if you have Trigger Custom Event 1 followed by Trigger Custom Event 2, Custom Event 2 will always run after Custom Event 1 has been completed.

1 Like

Thanks! greatly appreciate the swift reply @georgecollier :pray:

Nope… heard nothing about this since June, and the issue still exists, so I can’t see it changing any time soon.

1 Like

That is my understanding as well. There was a thread on order of operations some place in the forum where this was confirmed by Bubble.

Do you know if it waits for the custom event to complete, or does it wait for all the actions to run?

Like if the former is true it is safe to Create a thing as the last step inside the Custom Event 1, then in Custom Event 2 search for the thing.

What’s the difference? Surely a custom event is only complete when all actions inside the custom event have completed. That’s what I’ve always thought (maybe I just haven’t had a use case that’s proved me wrong though)

Notwithstanding why one would want to search a recently created item which can be “grabbed” via “result of step X” … and if the created object is very light (or you can first create it with no data inside it) you should be ok by searching for it in a subsequent custom event.

To answer your question my understanding is that the custom event is done when the actions have run. Bubble does not wait as it continues with its parallel processing where it can find space to do so.

Hi there, do you have tips on how to search elements that uses “search: count is 0” using the App Search Tool?

Anyone? Tips for finding using app search tool?

No it seems the app search tool can only find “Do a search for” but not a specific expression like you’re trying to do…

It seems so. Can’t find it anywhere.

@josh
It might be a good idea if bubble will be able to search for these queries that can help optimize workload. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did this ever get fixed?

This is being actively discussed in the forum and Twitter.

2 Likes

That is quite interesting, thank you for the insight!

Ok, so I emailed support@bubble.io, and this is what I understand:

search:first item is empty is more performant but generally uses more WUs compared to search:count < 1.

search:count < 1 general uses less WUs

The Bubble Support response is:

Search: first item is empty is usually the fastest approach. However, Search: count < 1 will usually use less workload.

And this is also intended behavior. Not sure why, but it is.

3 Likes