Selling digital products internationally?

I figure a lot of bubble users are building sites that sell some sort of digital service internationally.

Does anyone have any information on how to navigate the issue of handling potential sales tax obligations to different countries?

I know there are some services such as FastSpring that become the seller of record and take over any tax collection and filing services.

On the other hand, you can collect taxes for each country (I believe Stripe will do this), but then you have to register in each country and pay the taxes. This seems like it would be very expensive.

I’d welcome any information from those who have already been down this path.

What I think you are looking for is a Merchant of Record (Merchant of Record — What is it and why do you need to know? • Lemon Squeezy)

There are many such services available online. I don’t have enough experience with any of them so I cant make any recommendations.

What is a merchant of record (MoR) + why use one for payments and sales tax? (Paddle is a merchant of record vs Stripe)

Again, I dont have enough experience with this so hopefully others can chime in here.

2 Likes

Thank you – I suspect you are correct. The process of tracking multiple tax jurisdictions and registering and paying taxes would be onerous and expensive.

I figure that a number of people in the bubble-sphere have been down this road (obviously Bubble has gone down it, since they are selling their service internationally) – hoping one will share their experience…