Settings tasks positions to display in sequence based on its priority

I’m trying to have tasks displayed in a sequence. The current default is that the most recent task shows at the end of the list of the repeating group. I want to set it so the user can manually selects a different position.

If there is 5 tasks then there is 5 positions and if someone wants to change the position of the task currently in position 4, to position 1 then the task that was previously position 1 will become position 2 and the ones below that will change accordingly.

What formula can I use to have the tasks position be manually selected and changed?

Hi there, @tenzin… there is no formula that is going to magically do what you described. Because you are saying that tasks have a priority, you will likely have to store something (almost certainly a number) in a field that denotes a task’s priority. Then, you will be able to use that field to change the priorities of the tasks when a user manually reprioritizes them, and you can sort a repeating group by that field to show the tasks in the appropriate order.

Anyway, just some food for thought there, and I hope it helps.

Best…
Mike

Hey I guess I could have been specific. I was curious how to give it a number. I figured out I can make the tasks order number with this formula.

order number = search for tasks: count + 1

The issue I’m running into with this is that it is counting all of the tasks and I want it to only count the tasks in the project that the task is being created in. I tried adding this constraint but it doesn’t work.

Tasks
Constraint: Project parent = index’s project

I thought this would work sense I have the state of the page set to a project and the tasks data field for “parent projects” tasks is project parent = state of the page’s project. That all working but I have a second action after Create a new task, which is make changes to that task and set the order number with this formula.

order number = search for tasks: count + 1
Constraint: Project parent = index’s project

It’s still counting from all tasks instead of the tasks inside that project. Any idea what I need to change?

What you are describing sounds like it should work. I guess you could try setting the constraint to Project parent = Result of step 1's project parent, but again, I don’t see why your setup isn’t working. Any chance you have a privacy rule in place that is getting in the way of the search? Have you tried running the workflow in step-by-step mode to see if the debugger can give you a clue as to why it’s not working?