Show parent field in repeating group of child

Hi I am stuck and this should be simple. I have a child file Actions and parent file Patients.
Child file has linked field of Parent (unique ID). In repeating group I search for Children (actions) and I want to show a field from the patent file (Patients) The patient id is showing in the Childs file.

Help please.

I’m not sure I fully understand your description (are you talking about files uploaded to your app storage? or do you mean datatypes? I’m going to assume the latter here…)

But if you have a ‘Patient’ field (of type ‘Patient’) on the Action datatype, then it should be as simple as referring to the current cell’s Action’s Patient’s ‘field’ - with ‘field’ being whatever field from the Patient datatype you want to display.

Although, from you description it sounds as though you might not actually have a ‘Patient’ field on the Action datatype, but rather a text field storing the unique ID of the Patient?

In which case it’s slightly more complicated (and unnecessarily so) - but you’ll just need to do a search for Patients, who’s unique ID matches the current cell’s Action’s Patient ID (and select the first item from the returned list). Then refer to that patient (with whichever field you want to display).

Hi Adam Thank you. You understood perfectly.
"But if you have a ‘Patient’ field (of type ‘Patient’) on the Action datatype, then it should be as simple as referring to the current cell’s Action’s Patient’s ‘field’ "
It works perfectly. I just could not think of that order of code. Everything I tried returned RED Thanks again.

I also have the second case so added the connect field and am editing each record by hand. ugh

1 Like