Sort by Grouping in Repeating Group

I have a repeating group that is made up of all of my time entries for a task. The repeating group is grouped by the task (the task has multiple time entries).

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 11.34.28 AM

My Goal: I need to sort the repeating group by a field that is exclusive to tasks (the grouping), not time entries (the Search for).

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 11.34.28 AM

However, when I go to add “sorted”… I expect to see my fields for “task” so I can sort the repeating group… but I see nothing here.
Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 11.28.02 AM

What I expect to see is this:

Is it not possible to “sort” by the grouped type? (In this case, tasks, not time entries).

Once you do a grouping the only fields available to you after are those that you have grouped by. In the grouping you would need to include the field you are trying to sort on. There is no such thing as “sort by task” it would have to be “sort by task.entry-time” where entry-time is a field on the data type task and is also included in the grouping.

Crud :confused: Your explanation makes sense… however I must have an issue with my data type structure. Time entry is a data field on Ticket… but doesn’t show up as a group by… my guess is it’s because they are both data types…

Going to play around with this – I have to have the structure as it is now. Thank you for the response.

Ok, I figured this out – You got me on the right track @bubble.trouble.

In my case, since both were data types, I had to go “one layer deeper”.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 1.38.00 PM

Notice that after the “group by: task”, I put in “each items task” – Once I did that, it changed the Type of content to Tickets and then allowed me to then sort by all of the fields for tickets!

Works wonderfully - Thanks for getting me on the right track here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.