Supabase + Bubble connection with API connector

Initially I thought and planned, but due to shortage of time I was unable to do that, so I thought of writing in a tutorial way will be much easier and quicker for me that is why I posted this on the forum.

1 Like

As I have used Xano I can say that it is very very simple yet so-so powerful for no coders you can say for the people who is just looking for a specific no code database. So when are database is focused and it is created in a way keeping no code in mind you won’t get that complexity and openness of a database you can say a scalable database. Xano is also scalable but the upper limit is somewhat questionable also we need to consider here the pricing.
On the other hand we have supabase which is a fire base open source alternative. So first of all a file base alternative needs to be as powerful as fire base and I can say that supa base is of course that much powerful and also being open source we have lot and lot of advantages which we all know. So as it is incredibly scalable and corporate scale database with terms of people always keeping it in a proper touch through GitHub you can always trust it more. Secondly it comes to pricing and seriously there is a lot of difference between the pricing of super base and xano which can be easily determined by visiting their pricing pages.
Comparatively there are other features which needs to be in a database say tomorrow if you want to leave bubble and make that app in react or any JavaScript framework or Android of course it can be easily integrated through their SDK or other native connectors.
And of course lastly I will say depends on once personal choice see I wanted something powerful firebase and after a lot of research I found at it can’t be easily connected with bubble and after week off work I finally give up and look for an alternative so this was my case but yet it can be different for different people and different use cases. At the same time I also considered Xano but after looking at my database size which you can also see on the first post it was too complex for xano and costly. Any other API rate limiting was also very irritating.

1 Like

Hey @siddharth

Thanks for the thorough reply. So you think Supabase is better than Xano, right?

How do you accomplish the issue of: for example, have a page with invoice line items so every time a line item is created, the it goes to Supabase and then Bubble must get the Supabase line item real time?

Thanks a lot man.

1 Like

Yes indeed :+1:
The invoice thing I didn’t understand clearly I mean why should a line go to supabase and then back to bubble, can u please elaborate a little @ryanck ? but the thing that you said of real time then yes it is real time. Because if you have a condition like that every time a data changes bubble automatically queries supabase to see if the result have changed or not and it’s also reflected real time.

1 Like

Did you apply policy?

Hey @siddharth

Well imagine you have an invoice page where you have a table with line items since how Bubble works you need to insert a record to each line item so that would be creating records in database. How could this be real time? I haven´t seen any external API going as fast as the Bubble database real time performance wise.

Do you have any example?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:.

Did you try to use google auth provided by supabase to login users from your bubble front end ? Would be helpful , thanks

No
Because I handle Google auth stuff with bubble.

Thanks so much for this. I connected Supabase to Bubble but I’m not sure how to get realtime working properly within Bubble. Do you know how to achieve it? When I delete or create a new element I need to refresh the page to see the change.

1 Like

Hey @siddharth

How do you avoid going through Bubble´s server via proxy?

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Unfortunately the realtime feature of supabase is not possible with API as of now, it uses listeners which needs supabase-js to work.

2 Likes

There’s no need of proxy😉

Maybe you can use Supabase’s webhooks together with a data type (f.i. refresh) in which entries are created when a record is created/updated/deleted in Supabase. Additionally add a bit of logic which subscribes users to entries in this refresh data type when they are on a certain page / have a certain repeating group visible using conditions.

Hello @siddharth

I’m not saying there is need but that all the connections that go through the API connector are proxied then are slower.

So the question is how you got rid of that limitation?

Thanks a lot.

@siddharth Can I build a plot with the data from the Supabase API? I made a lot of tries, but I don’t really understand how can I use a data from the API in Data Source field while building a plot

@dominok56 Can u please define “plot”

Actually I didn’t have any ideas about proxy here :sweat:
But I can say that the response is really fast

Hey @siddharth

It´s fast but not as Bubble so when it comes to speed and compliance, getting out of the Bubble servers is necessary.

If you take a look at it let me know :wink:

Thanks a lot.

@siddharth I meant a chart

In the API connector there will be a drop-down option
to use this API as action or use as data you should be marking it as a data in order to get it in proper data position.