Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Tagging/filtering videos?

Hi all!

I’m totally new, I’ve watched all the videos and read around the forum, but can’t quite figure out how to do what I’m trying to do.

In a nutshell, I need a way to tag videos from Youtube, then I need to be able to run searches or filtering against those tags.

For example, each video would have 10-50 custom tags. These are for musician videos, so the tags might be “drums”, “vocals”, “Metallica”, etc. Then if I wanted to find “drum” videos that where also tagged with “Metallica” I could do that.

In the end, it might work something like this: https://www.mikeslessons.com/library

See that he has the ability to select “Beginner”, “Intermediate”, etc, and then the page automatically updates. This is similar to what I’m trying to do.

I hope that makes sense.

Hey @jason.wiscarson AirDev recently added this tagging widget example:

Thanks so much @fayewatson! This looks like the right idea.

So, I need to use the App Data page to add all the videos and tags. I’ll try to work this out. Thanks again!

I would just create yourself a little admin page, so you enter the YourTube id, and click the tags.

Will be a lot simpler that the data tab.

Sounds like a good idea. I’ll probably do that once I have all this setup and make sure it’s working as I want.

I’ve setup mine thru the data tab just like they have it in the widget. But, I can’t figure out how to manually add tags to a video. There’s no where to add the tags to a video. I’m stumped.

That was kind of my point, a really simple page to do that (input, button, list) is the way to go. We can’t do lists in the data tab.

Whew, ok, pushing the limits of my brain here.

Ok, I have a text input for the title of the video. But, what about the tags? Maybe have a list of available tags with checkboxes? But how do I do multiple checkboxes? Is there a way I can dynamically fetch the available tags from Things and then have them create a list of checkboxes?

Yes, you can do that.

Did you see the AirDev Widget, that would work really well here.

Happy to help build a little app with you to get you started.

Well, I certainly appreciate the help.

I tried to do a repeating group of checkboxes, but I don’t see a way to dynamically pull in the tags. There is no option for dynamic input.

Ok, some progress made. But all the tags are showing up on each button, rather than one tag per button. I can’t get the checkboxes to work at all, as there doesn’t seem to be an option for dynamic content.

Ok! Got them to show up correctly (honestly not sure how, I was just trying random things… hehe)

Now the question is, if I can’t use checkboxes, how can I use buttons to assign more than one tag to a video.

If you have a look at this …

https://buildingonbubble.com/block/selectable-list-1470553906464x624549423891611600

It will show you how to create a custom state that has a list of “tags”.

When you come to save your video, you can SET the tags field (which is hopefully a list of tags) to be the custom states list.

1 Like

Ok, awesome! I got the admin page setup where I can add videos and it adds the video data, success! Thanks so much for your help @NigelG and @fayewatson!

Now I’m having trouble figuring out how to run a search against the tags and/or fields in my videos and then show only the relevant videos in my repeating group. Any thoughts?

Awesome! :slight_smile: I’m not sure on specifics of your data setup but since each Video has a ‘List of Tags’ your repeating group could do a search for videos, and then in the ‘filtered’ part, you could create an advanced constraint that said ‘This Video’s Tags ‘contains list’ [selectedtags]’. [selected tags is the equivalent to what you named your selected list of tags, similar to the ‘selected_fruit’ setup]

Here is a repeating group I added below Nigel’s forum example.

In the forum multiselect checkbox example, we’re able to select a list of fruits – so I created a new data type called Grocery Store (each ‘Grocery Store’ has two fields, ‘Name’ of the store, and ‘Fruits’ (a list of fruits available at the store). Then once you select checkboxes, the repeating group will filter based upon which checkboxes are selected (if a store doesn’t have that ‘fruit’ in its ‘List of Fruits’ then it will not be shown in the results)

By the way, got this to work! Thanks so much @fayewatson and @NigelG!

1 Like