Tail Between My Legs!

I’m sure like most people in this room I am a bubble enthusiast and I have been learning the platform over the last six months where I am trying hard to develop a small quality assurance tool. (I know very boring, but I like it)

I will keep this very brief but I was hoping someone will be able to help me out here.

I explained my software tool to a friend who invited me into his office to discuss with me about using the software tool. In the room was there IT manager who was a young guy from Australia somewhere who was invited to the meeting.

To cut a long story short the IT manager guy started to challenge me on things I’ve not really come face to face with before. He actually made me feel embarrassed and reduced me to nothing in the meeting. I actually felt he took some pride in pointing out all the things I did not know about and I walked out of the room with my tail between my legs, going home actually thinking about giving up.

I noted some questions down in the meeting. He asked me questions like
1.what’s my change management process?
2.Service licence agreement ?
3.What’s my privacy policy
4.How are my passwords stored.
5.Who In my business manages the servers for best performance.
6. Business Continuity ( on bubbles end)

I am now fully aware I went into a meeting unprepared but I guess you don’t know what you don’t know.

I’m going to take it as a learning and I have also performed lots of research. I’m needing to understand and create a basic set of documentation around bubble and it’s process. So can assure anyone I talk to in the future that bubble is a professional platform which my application is build on.

Does anyone have any experience in this area around providing application documentation about the bubble platform to clients.

Im pretty keen to engage in some conversation and try and understand what best practice is so I do not get caught out again. In fact id liked to go back to the young punk and give him answers.

Cheers Bubblers

2 Likes

“What is your change management process?” What does that even mean?

This kid was just belittling you to stroke his own ego. People do that to feel better about themselves, but it accomplishes nothing. It sounds like he started fishing for things you weren’t sure about and then threw those back in your face. Not only did he bring you down, but he made himself look bad. I wouldn’t stress about it. Nor would I be concerned with anything he said. Of course you can research the answers to these questions so you know them for the future, but I doubt anybody ever asks you any of those questions again. Do you get a privacy policy? Yes. Will anybody read it? Probably not.

Stay upbeat. There is no reason to stop building your product if it solves a real problem.

4 Likes

I’ve been in similar situations, and while it was awkward at first not knowing exactly how to respond to people like that, I’d politely walk away and do my due diligence so that the next time I could have a reasoning for my decisions and rationalizations behind all app dev and business decisions going on behind the scenes. Being challenged made me a better business owner, better programmer and better salesperson. You’re on the right track with your attitude :slight_smile:

I understand the tail between the legs feeling. But guess what? You’ll encounter these people in all age groups and industry all the way from idea, to conception, alpha, beta, v1, v2, pretty much forever… even after you’ve made it to the bank with cash in hand from SaaS clients (or a working tool that is low cost and brings value to your organization) 1-2 years from now, you will have to deal with the classic human ego. It’s a fragile thing, and when people who have spent decade(s) of their life perfecting lines of code or managing groups of people building projects from scratch, it can be daunting to face the reality of the world we live in: everyone can become a data scientist/programmer/web designer/graphic artist/etc with very low cost tools. Not saying everyone can become a professional app builder that knows the inside out functionality of complicated database structures, API requests and HTML/CSS/JS, but most motivated individuals can get 80% of the way to solving their unique problem (with tools like Bubble) on a shoestring budget and time commitment.

After a few dozen interactions like this I can say I still feel a bit off-put by people’s harsh criticisms, but I no longer fear it. I WANT people to question my decisions. I really do, because that’s the fastest way I’ve found I grow and improve over time. My decision to use Bubble has surprised a lot of people in the traditional dev community in my area but after all is said and done I have an app that’s to market and making money, which is a lot more than 99% of the naysayers here can say for themselves. Bubble allowed me to dedicate 10x the amount of time caring for the people using the apps and solving problems more important to a fledgling business than toiling away in my nights and weekends hunting down deep code bugs and server infrastructure growth.

I’m talking too much here and I’m sure you get my point. If I were to quickly address the 6 points you bring up I’d say (without knowing your full story – disclaimer: I’m not always right and my candor generally appeals to people):

1. This is a beta app to test the waters. “Can we improve processes with this idea for a web app? Will people want to use it? Does this feature list make sense?” These and other points are the real meat of the problem, an idea does not merit a change management process (at least not anything more than can fit on one side of a napkin)

2. You have no need to guarantee a SLA with an early stage app. Bubble does not provide one to its 10s of thousands of customers and neither will you unless you want to take on that risk. If you’re building an app that is SO critical for the business on the other end, maybe Bubble isn’t the right tool. That should be okay with you! Test your hypothesis for an app with Bubble instead of sinking $100k+ on a full fledged solution. Most likely this Australian dude can find an off-the-shelf SaaS that will make him happy (this is why it’s still good to receive feedback, you might find your idea should not be built)

3. You can find boilerplate Privacy Policies online, and on top of that you should modify the original and link to or include the Bubble Inc Privacy Policy if you’re super paranoid. I had beta testers for nearly 6 months before getting hands dirty (and spending money) with legal

4. [quote=“emmanuel, post:2, topic:4490, full:true”]
    Bubble is hosted on AWS which maintains a state-of-the-art security infrastructure. We encrypt all traffic to bubble.is over https, and encourage and support our clients to use encryption on their own domains. All user passwords are stored salted + encrypted in our database; other user data is not encrypted at rest, but we plan to change this in the next two months as part of a migration from a NoSQL database (elasticsearch) to a SQL database (postgres).
    [/quote]

5. You have a whole team of professionals, aka Bubble employees, that are here for you and are constantly working to improve Bubble’s infrastructure. There is a dedicated hosting plan starting at $480/mo that is more than capable to get you off on the right foot with your first clients. Try doing 1/100 what Bubble does for under $500/mo, I dare you.

6. This is still debated, but for now (now meaning the runway for Bubble as a product/service/company) I’d guess we’re safe for 1-2 more years. Yes, anything is possible. They COULD sell out or go under. But I doubt it. Read their blog, you will find some peace of mind reading what the founders believe in. Their values align with my own, which has a lot to do with my decision to continue supporting Bubble and recommending it to others. I’ve even read that if worst case scenario happens, Bubble will open source what it can of its systems to allow people continued hosting of their apps.

The blog:

The more you read about Bubble’s perspective on the future (again, not really future, this is happening now) the better armed you will be at the conference room table with the egos and the “What if…?” monsters.

https://blog.bubble.is/improving-computer-education-less-code-more-programming-b626cc13b2bb

Happy Bubbling!

13 Likes

Thanks Very much your quick reply and I’m sorry for my delayed reply.

@philip your reply was appreciated and I would like to say thank you.

I value the fact that this had probably taken you a while to write back to my post and it made a difference to my decisions going forward.

It reassuring to know someone else has been in similar situation and from your post you have reassured me that bubble it the correct way for me to progress my app. :grinning:

Once again thanks Very Much!

1 Like

@csblack and @philip’s responses here are both great.

Stand confident, knowing that you’re the one who’s actually out there building something. You will encounter countless questions, many of which you are not going to be able to answer immediately. Some people are well intentioned. Others just like kicking sand.

When people kick sand, invite them to build sandcastles. Don’t feel the need to go on the defensive. (If anything, it encourages 'em to dig deeper). Rather, invite them to give their perspective. You are early stage. Own it. Ask for advice.

While some of his questions are logical to ask (ie password storage), some are simply naive to ask of someone who is building their first version. Don’t get discouraged by someone who is an expert in kicking sand.

Now, the people who come to you with a genuine interest in both asking and solving tough questions, keep them close as close as you can.

1 Like

I am not a coder but have experience in a large financial organization in risk management. Having apps that didn’t have a change management process was one of our worst nightmares. A change management process just means somebody has thought about and written down how a change in the app gets all the way from start to finish. So it’s easy to create one by answering a set of simple questions:

1. What is the process of deciding what changes get made to your app
  2. Who approves (this can be important because there may be implications for other areas you may not be aware of - in a bank this is a BIG DEAL, for example)
  3. How is it tested (especially if it touches other systems)
  4. How is it documented so if the original developer wins the lottery someone else can step in and figure out what’s going on

There may be other questions specific to situations, but this is the high level. The main value is in thinking through this and putting together even a simple word document

2 Likes

Very valuable insight! thanks to everybody who replied :+1: