Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

The great Wrapper debate!

Hi All,

Am trying to gather information surrounding wrappers for web apps built on bubble.

We have built a comprehensive platform and have used several wrappers from copilot, bdk, webviewgold, and gonative all have their great aspects and limitations.

This thread is to give the community an area to add their experience (good and bad) from using any web wrappers to get their bubble build published on the app stores!

We’ll start it off with an very brief introduction for each based on our experience, including comments on the following simple factors:

COST: High ($$$), Moderate ($$), Low ($)
-Ranging from $150USD ($) to above $1,000USD ($$$)

CUSTOMISATION: High (CCC), Moderate (CC), Low ©
-ability to choose launch images, loading spinner, orientation, and status bar colours etc.

INTEGRATION: High (III), Moderate (II), Low (I)
-push notification (onesignal), facebook, google, and deep linking etc.

SUPPORT: High (SSS), Moderate (SS), Low (S)
-ranging from very quick personal response within 24hours (SSS), through to response to queries within a week or so (S).

bdk
[ $$ CC II SSS ]
-very simple to build, details are entered into in input fields through their website and into bubble plugin. control of customisations very high and third party integration for push notifications is simple and works effectively.

copilot
[ $ CC II SS ]
-unfortunately, not taking on any more deployments. *notes on previous build: very simple to build, is customisable via input fields and allows for high level of control of loaders, colours, and third party integrations (ie. onesignal)

webviewgold/codecanyon
[ $ CCC I S ]
-setup is more difficult, as source code needs to be modified. instructions and code is sometimes out of date, however if followed to the infinite decimal, can produce perfectly good build. customisations at time will need to be manually updated based on changes from app stores.

gonative
[ $$$ CCC III SSS ]
-setup relatively easy, very comprehensive fields to be filled out with your info. customisations as expected for the cost and very quick turn around time.

All of these options have been successfully deployed to both stores at some point!

We understand there are varied opinions and many different options out there for web wrappers. if you have any alternatives to the ones listed, or any feedback or input regarding any of these wrappers please feel free to inform the community here!

Keep in mind this thread is to discuss whats out there and the benefit they have for each developer, please keep troubleshooting to their respective threads.

We will add more info as it is requested, and when we get a spare moment! looking forward to hearing everyones opinions!

Thanks,
B

9 Likes

Hi @b.j.gibson

It will be interesting to see during this debate the pros and cons of all the major ‘wrappers’. For new people, the only free ‘wrapper’ is Jasonelle. It can also be used to build a native application and use Bubble as backend.

10 min. to create a FREE native app in 2020 > iOS :large_blue_diamond: Android

In addition, the great advantage of Jasonelle is once publish in the Apple or Google store, you no longer have to do it again, unless you need to use a new native function.

jasonelle
[ 0$ CC II SS ]
support : free support jasonelle forum

2 Likes

By their nature wrappers are just a “window” into your web app, so anything that happens to the web app happens to the wrapped app.

I think it’s important to considered there’s two kind of ‘wrapper’, like the one @deliriousmiles describe acting like a regular windows, and ‘wrapper +’ that contains native functions.

It’s very mixing understanding of building a website and app under the same Bubble roof. I think Bubble matures to host both solutions imo.

2 Likes

I’m still amazed their isn’t a native bubble option.
Click a button and off you go.

2 Likes

Users can also just add a few files and make their pwa for simple functionality use. :man_shrugging:

Can you elaborate on this

Progressive Web Apps (PWA’s) are web applications that are regular web pages or websites, but can appear to the user like traditional applications or native mobile applications. The application type attempts to combine features offered by most modern browsers with the benefits of a mobile experience.

A few capabilities:

• Connectivity independent: Progressively-enhanced with Service Workers to let them work offline. (A cached version of pages for users to view)

• Install-able: to the home screen through browser-provided prompts, allowing users to “keep” apps they find most useful without the hassle of an app store

• Can implement a component that uses Geo location API to allow your app to ask for the users current location

• Can implement a component that uses the Clipboard API to allow your app to copy text to the users clipboard

• Can implement a component that gives users a button to install your PWA directly from the browser

• Can implement a component that gives your app the ability to connect to a MIDI device such as a keyboard

• Immersive Reader mode makes it easier for users to read your content on the web

• Create Share - This call allows you to share content

Not ideal for all situations. The above mentioned methods are very solid ones. This one fits my use-case as I don’t need the ability for a true wrapped solution.

2 Likes

How do you make your apps PWA?

1 Like

@chad you can follow this tutorial, which is not specific to Bubble but is very straightforward. In Bubble, you can do everything you need to do in the Settings > SEO metatags tab. This is the bare minimum though, it doesn’t teach you how to leverage PWA capabilities (e.g., the features mentioned above by @lantzgould).

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here @b.j.gibson (thanks for your feedback regarding all these available wrapping options by the way, very interesting!).

4 Likes

I have a free resource that I made that’ll create your PWA files for you. I’ll post it in a few. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@chad