Things I've learned while building complex apps

Seconding @petter again here. Thinking through the why is an incredibly important part of building an app.

When I’m at the outset of building an app, I try to spend a few hours outside of Bubble trying to figure out what the app aims to do. Then I’ll design a close to ideal database structure. Only after that, do I start porting my structure into Bubble. (Otherwise, I’ll fall down a rabbit hole of experimentation…)

When you start developing apps (in Bubble or in general) thinking through a database may be difficult. But there’s great value to at least sketching out your data types (and their associated fields and relationships) to avoid a duct-tape database.

Regardless, one of the biggest mistakes I see beginners make is to go full force in building without a solid understanding of field types. (Ex. an address split into 5 different text fields versus using geographic address, using “text” for something that should be a number, using multiple fields when a “list” would work better - ex. Listing Image1, Listing Image 2, etc).

7 Likes