Tracking the amount of times a thing is used in a different data type field

I’m working on an app to store/organize/use data for proposals for architecture clients. Here is the setup:
I have three main datatypes: Proposals, Completed Projects, and Team members.
Typically an architectural proposal will feature past projects and team members, so that datatype has list fields for both Completed Projects and Team Members that reference back to relevant things in those datasets.

I would like to be able to track or see how much each Complete project (thing) or Team Member (thing) is being used across all Proposals. So for example I could then be able to see what the most popular project to use in a proposal is (base off of how many Proposals have included it in its “featured project” data field.) Same goes for team member. Any ideas on how to do this?

Hi there, @danielhester… I’m sure it goes without saying that you could accomplish what you described in a number of ways, but after thinking about it for a bit, I might go the direct route of having a field on both the Completed Project and Team Member data types that is a count of the number of times a thing is included in a proposal. Then, as things are added to proposals, you would have a workflow action that adds 1 to their counters, and you would always have easy access to that information directly on each thing.

Anyway, that’s what came to mind for me on this one, and I hope it helps, even if it’s just food for thought.

Best…
Mike

Thank you Mike, that is what I was thinking but adding the workflow to add count was just what i needed. Success.

1 Like