[Update March 5, 2020] BDK Native Apps v1.7 released

Awesome! thanks @JohnMark

Hey @majd & @JohnMark,
Actually the footer in the demo app is just a floatinggroup on the bubble app itself.

@majd
I was looking into building the native footer feature into BDK Native App service but then realized it didn’t make sense as you can build a footer as the floating group in your bubble app itself :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello @gaurav ,

I was wondering what is the “BN - Remove Loading” , “BN - Update Loading” and “BN - Render link” options?

Thank you!

1 Like

Can I make my web application native with this plugin?

Hi @caioprezia,

The latest version includes a new feature that automatically showing a animation of your choice while the your bubble pages load :smiley: This allows apps to have a rich feel like uber / facebook etc.

The ‘remove loading’ workflow step allows you to remove the animation. The ‘update loading’ workflow allows you to change the animation directly from your bubble app. I just added to the loading screen documentation that you can refer for details. You can also try these out in the preview mode from the demo app.

The render link is essentially a page reload (not very useful at the moment as you can refresh your bubble page from your bubble app itself; will add documentation soon)

3 Likes

Yep that’s correct!

Thanks Gaurav! That’s a very useful feature (loading while ‘not so fast’ bubble loads the page).

I’ve tried the ‘update loading’ but not sure if I set it up correctly. I have a page called members. On that page I created a workflow (see the image attached)

When I load the page nothing happens. I still have the blank page while bubble is loading.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @caioprezia,

If you’re trying it via the preview mode, do ensure you’re providing your app details in settings section.

If you’re trying this in your native app build I provided you, that won’t work since your app was built well before this feature was introduced. You can request a rebuild from your project page if you’re looking for this feature in your app.

It would be nice if there is an option to set up background image for the loading screen.

How would that work? The challenge is different devices have different dimensions. The images would get stretched / compressed and hence look distorted.

Note: SVGs are not supported as they aren’t actually images.

I think with settings (width: 100%; height: auto; ) it would work in most of the cases.

Personally, I would add images that are compressed and portrait mode so that they would work on IPad too.

If I have a floating group as a loader container it doesn’t kick in right away when app is still loading.

Is there any updates on one signal deeplinking? I think URL Actions plugin could be used with this
@gaurav any updates on this?

Also, is there a way to setup aspect ratio for the cropping when taking pictures? Resizing after that would be sweet too so there wouldn’t be need to use external API for that.

Is it possible to disable header on preview mode? For some reason setting for header type for none doesn’t seem to work. I can change the colors etc. but not disable it

Appears to work on my end. Maybe double check if you’re mistakenly setting ‘Header Button Type’ to ‘None’ instead of the ‘Enable Header Bar’ to ‘No’? If not, can you PM me a link with your screen recording

Yes, currently in testing :slight_smile:

I’ll look into it but it would be low on priority as I try to prioritize features that would work with all phone models

This doesn’t quite make sense. That ‘height: auto’ concept applies for HTML / CSS.
Media files (images / video) have fixed aspect ratio. E.g. if you have a 320 * 160 image (i.e. 2:1 aspect ratio). Setting width at 100% would need height to be 50%. Setting width at 80% would need height to be 40% etc. Otherwise the image gets distorted by stretching horizontally / vertically in unequal proportions vs original.

1 Like

@gaurav This is great! Is there a way to shoot video yet?

I have been doing quite a bit of testing now and things work pretty nicely in most cases. There is a big issue with the native transition that causes white screen of death when the swipe is not perfect. It can be trickered even if I swipe down from the left side.

I have to close the app many times and start it again when I was testing. I’m not sure if this needs to fixed on the plugin or wrapper app level but it would be nice to have this sorted out because it is hard to use native transitions and build around it.

1 Like

Hi Gaurav,
I have been testing the plugin and having trouble with getting current GPS location. My workflow Asks permission for location if not currently “granted”, then toggles GPS on and Gets the location. However, my testing seems to hang here about 80% of the time.

I know it’s something I’m not doing correctly, because whenever I run your test, it returns the correct location. Can you post the workflows for your GPS testing in the app so I can have a look?

Thanks!

1 Like

Not yet. Will keep the thread updated with new feature releases

Hi @aperry99 sure, here’s a video recording of the demo app’s GPS setup.

Note: For all features, the screenshots of example setup is available in the respective ‘How to use’ sections within the native apps plugin documentation

@gaurav I look forward to seeing it in future releases!

Is there an expected timeline in regards to video?

1 Like

Glad to hear @bjstrevy. No timeline yet but its a next priority for me.