View employee page not pulling data from another page triggered by an icon

Hi there! I may be making some rooking mistake:

So I have a page that has a view icon in a repeating group that displays a table/list of employees.

What I want to happen is that when the view (eye) icon is clicked (of a specific employee), the user is transferred to a view page that lists all information about a specific employee, based on which view icon of an employee the user clicked.

However, I cannot seem to transfer data of the employee to the view page. I did use a page, rather than popup.

Please help.

Hi there, @janernestgo… one way to do what you have described is to set the Type of content for the destination page to User. Then, in the workflow action that navigates to the destination page, set the Data to send as the Current cell's User. At that point, you will have access to the user’s data on the destination page.

Oh, one more thing… make sure your privacy rules on the User data type are set up in a way that makes it possible for a user to view another user’s data on the destination page.

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Thanks @mikeloc let me check that one out. Btw if we make that adjustment to the user data type as you suggest, will it be difficult for the super admin user to view other’s data? I plan to have super admin, manager, and user roles.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be a problem to configure privacy rules on the User data type to support the different roles you mentioned.

@mikeloc thanks a lot for your prior advice! It now shows the data I need. I just noticed that you’re right, I followed the logic but it appears that the privacy setting prevented the display of all data. I temporarily removed it as I am working on my admin role, therefore, user data is in public.

Now, I am looking to work on the user roles. do I have to create a separate user role data type, or I can simply just add fields in the user data type instead? then I tweak it using the privacy? What do you suggest?

1 Like

What I typically do with user roles is create an option set to define the roles, and then I have a field on the User data type that is tied to the option set and stores the role for each user. With the option set and field in place, you can create privacy rules on the User data type that define data access for each of the roles.

1 Like

That’s like static list right? How’d you go about the “when expression” ?

Have you created the option set and the field on the User data type? If so, then you can construct a condition like when This User's role is Admin, and then you would check and uncheck the boxes accordingly based on the access you want that role to have.

Yes, I have @mikeloc . I’ll give it the expression a try. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.23.10 AM

The field on the User data type needs to be tied to the option set but right now it is text. You will need to delete that field and create a new field where the field type is the option set.

I am now able to tag the options to the user roles. I just have to make the “when expression” logical. Thank you @mikeloc

1 Like

@mikeloc I got the privacy expressions working. I noticed however that it works across the board, meaning all elements are either hidden or shown. Is there a way for a users to be given what they can only see also depending on the element’s content, or say, their position in the company?

Generally, apps have user roles like admin, manager, user, but how about privacy within these user categories?