Working on projects ranging from simple to highly complex, this is my #1 productivity tool

YES, the almighty whiteboard in a roll-up, desktop-friendly version. It will set you back around 8 dollars, different colored pens included.

Am I serious? I am indeed. Of all the fancy project management tools I’ve tested, this is the one I keep using, and using, and using, and using. It’s almost ridiculous how many things I note down on this thing before wiping it half an hour later when I no longer need it. It’s basically the missing link between my short-term memory and long-term memory.

• Need to visualize a data type before creating anything? Sketch it.
  • Need to remember the name of that Env Variable you just created? Write it down.
  • Need a quick task list to finish that nice new popup? Draw it in five seconds (and get the added satisfaction of actually checking it in real life)
  • Need to not look at the screen while thinking up that badass Condition to rule all conditions? Draw it.
  • Got a phone call and need to write down some details before you forget? Write it down.

Does it replace a project management tool or project documentation? Of course not. Has it made my workday easier? More than any other tool I’ve invested my time in.

Run like the wind Bubblers, and buy one of these for yourself. You’ll see that for once, you’re glad you clicked on that click-baiting thread title!

10 Likes

Nice one @petter
As a former Xerox employee, nothing can beat all the affordances of paper, couldn’t agree more!
:wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, your drawings there is pretty much how my whiteboard ends up after a few hours. I even have an iPad pro/Apple Pencil where I take notes I want to keep (which works amazingly for that), but for random, quick thoughts and sketches, it doesn’t cut it (turning on the screen, opening the app, etc I’ve already lost my note-scribbling appetite)

The whiteboard I have is slightly bigger than A3, which I love, and the ease of erasing your drawings (all or anything) just makes it more practical than paper for me.

1 Like

“The whiteboard I have is slightly bigger than A3, which I love, and the ease of erasing your drawings (all or anything) just makes it more practical than paper for me.” :+1:

Yeah, and erasing is definitely a great way to free/empty your mind too…In terms of waste also, white board is definitely a better option.

I’ll give a try soon!

1 Like

I’ve got a ream of paper on the desk…the whiteboard is a good idea

1 Like

I keep a notebook with me at all times in my laptop bag, and another one in my trunk :wink:

2 Likes

It’s strange – I’m as digital as they come. Love to try out new productivity tools and find new ways to organize myself.

But for some things, there’s just something about handwriting and drawing on a physical medium that can never be matched.