Working with APIs - Sports Related App

The API I call is open and doesn’t have any limitations. It’s actually not really an API but open endpoints on a website that gives many great and official data.

I started to play around with the API connector and managed to use data from the API in a basic repeating group. Now starts the tricky part, getting the data I need, were I need it.

As far as I understood, the API connector offers 2 ways to use fetched data, either as data or actions. I assume “data” gives access to API data directly in the app (like opening access to a remote database) but the “action” option remains unclear to me

my questions:

• What is “action” mode used for ?
  • When in “data” mode, is the called performed once, on page load ?
  • How can I store data within a bubble database using an API call ? Shall I build an “admin” dashboard that would include button to trigger API calls and then populate a database ?

Action will be available as an action in WF. Most of the time, Action should be use with a call of type “POST, PUT, PATH, DELETE” that will create, update or delete data into the API. Using Action will NOT let you store the result directly in DB and may be more complex to manage for caching.

Data are available most of the time with a GET request (in some case a POST when you use a search for example). Data are need exactly what the title say: DATA. This is to get data and display (or store) them, not to send any data to API. This is what you need to use if you want to store data in DB because when you select DATA, bubble create “Data thing” like if you create a new thing (DB) in backend end.

Data can be called in different way. On page or in backend, this is not important. This really depend on each use case.

Yes you are better to create an admin page for the initial trigger to get data and store it in DB.

You will need to create a DB Thing that will store the data from API. You basically need to manually create one thing in it, and always update this item every min using backend WF. In this thing, you will need one thing that will be of the Data type of the API Call. So you will first need to initialize the call, create a new DB, create a new field, and in the dropdown for the type of data, select the API Data type you have created from API Connector.

In the Backend WF, you will update the item with this field using Get Data from API Connector.

Well, I would only do GET requests since the API is only a source of data. I need that data as the foundation of my app, sending back data will never occur.

I didn’t quite get you point on how to add this data to the database. Is there a native way to "import data from an API to a database " in Bubble ? (like in Adalo for instance).
If not, can you provide a tutorials ?

I have tried to build something, in this case a backend workflow.
I have created a “Player” database and set some fields (FirstName, LastName). And then, I set this workflow.

Now, how can I either trigger this backend workflow manually or automatically ?

The goal is not to create a thing for each data (players) but mostly to store the data payload.
When you set an API Call as “Data”, this is also created as a “Data type”. So when you create a field, you will have the API Call available in the dropdown of “Field type”

The WF should be a Update a Thing (that you will create manually in a specific DB). And in this call, you will use the Get Call Api call to update it. At the end, schedule this same API Endpoint in 1 min later.

you only need an initial trigger that can be set on admin dashboard. You can cancel this at anytime in the Logs Scheduler if needed

Here’s few screenshot that I think will help

screenshot-bubble.io-2021.02.16-13_33_22 screenshot-bubble.io-2021.02.16-13_35_01

I am not sure to understand. My goal us actually to put in the app database some informations coming from an API.

Here is the endpoint I use: http://data.nba.net/prod/v1/2020/players.json
It gives all the players in the NBA for the 2020 season.
You can see an example of results I get below. Please notice I only added the first player, but the structure is like that:

{
"_internal": {
    "pubDateTime": "2021-02-15 11:39:39.022 EST",
    "igorPath": "S3,1613407171068,1613407175097|router,1613407175097,1613407175101|domUpdater,1613407175214,1613407178577|feedProducer,1613407178725,1613407181808",
    "xslt": "NBA/xsl/league/roster/marty_active_players.xsl",
    "xsltForceRecompile": "true",
    "xsltInCache": "false",
    "xsltCompileTimeMillis": "113",
    "xsltTransformTimeMillis": "2785",
    "consolidatedDomKey": "prod__transform__marty_active_players__1277780735455",
    "endToEndTimeMillis": "10740"
},
"league": {
    "standard": [
        {
            "firstName": "Precious",
            "lastName": "Achiuwa",
            "temporaryDisplayName": "Achiuwa, Precious",
            "personId": "1630173",
            "teamId": "1610612748",
            "jersey": "5",
            "isActive": true,
            "pos": "F",
            "heightFeet": "6",
            "heightInches": "8",
            "heightMeters": "2.03",
            "weightPounds": "225",
            "weightKilograms": "102.1",
            "dateOfBirthUTC": "1999-09-19",
            "teamSitesOnly": {
                "playerCode": "precious_achiuwa",
                "posFull": "Forward",
                "displayAffiliation": "Memphis/Nigeria",
                "freeAgentCode": ""
            },
            "teams": [
                {
                    "seasonStart": "2020",
                    "seasonEnd": "2020"
                }
            ],
            "draft": {
                "pickNum": "20",
                "roundNum": "1",
                "seasonYear": "2020"
            },
            "nbaDebutYear": "2020",
            "yearsPro": "0",
            "collegeName": "Memphis",
            "lastAffiliation": "Memphis/Nigeria",
            "country": "Nigeria"
        },

My goal is to put all this data within the database “Player” in my app to then use this data across the whole app. Some of this data is “stand-alone” such as the "“firstName” but some others are referring to another database, such as the “teamID”.

I followed you workflow, setting the API call to be data and then trying to create fields in a database that would match the field type. But sadly, I only get what is looking like the first level of data called league standards’s

When I try to use this data straight on the app, using a repetitive group, I can go deeper the the fetched data and actually select each entry (firstName, lastName, etc.)

Another stuff that I’ve tried, adding the data in the database using a button.
I’ve set the following workflow on a button

I actually put data in the database but don’t create one entry per player
I just get one entry with all the data, correctly added in each mapped field but all gathered in the same field (got all players name in the same name field, etc.

I assume it’s either the API structure or my way to handle it that is not correct but can’t figure it out.

In addition, backend WF looks great but require a paid plan. Would rather use a manual way to update data, once a day or even trigger that data to be updated using Zapier or Integromat (if possible).

If you do that, you will take a large amount of app capacity and it will slow down your app a lot if you refresh this often. The way I tell you is a fast and easy way to do that. You don’t need to reproduce the DB structure of the json into your own DB. You just store the JSON payload and Bubble will be able to use it like it was a thing with is own field.

If you really want to go that wya you will need to use Schedule API WF on a list a provide all fields needed in your Backend WF settings. Or store it in DB first using the way I tell you and Loop each item one by one using the same WF until all item have been processed. It will take less capacity.

If you follow my way, you only create one item in DB. And set your field to “Players league " or “PLayer League Standard”. And in this field you will do a Get Data from API’s player league (or player league standard”. Don’t forget that if you use player league standard, you need to set it to “is a list”

So, put in a more “no-code” way, you suggest to put all the data fetched by the API call on one field of a DB to have the data within the app and then use this data without trying to organize it properly in a DB. Is that correct ?

To update it, you suggest I can either trigger scheduled WF to make it automated or do it manually using a button. Correct ?

Now let’s say I get games scores from the API and need to determine if a user as chosen the winner (bet-like app). User’s choice is stored in a DB in the app but game scores can be fetched dynamically using current date and an API call. Will it be possible to work with data data is not actually stored in the app DB ?

To go even further with some advanced data handling

How can I display some information from an API call that is enhanced or linked with data from another data call ?

Let’s say I want to make a player bio screen and show among other stuff his current team.

• each player has a personID and an actualteamID coming from the “Player” API call.
  • each team as a teamID and teamName coming from the “Team” API call.

With the “Player” API call, I get the actualteamID parameter value of 12121212. For obvious reasons, the users don’t care about that value but want to get the real team name.

That real name is available with the second API call, the “Team” call.

How can I make the link between 2 API calls and say to Bubble "display the teamName value for the Current Page Player actualteamID" by actually looking for teamID value in the “Team” call that match the “Players” call’s actualteamID value.

There’s nothing different. You can access all related API information if needed.
You can either call the API or if you store data into DB, call your DB to find the correct information.

I have created a simple demo for you here: Sandboxjc | Bubble Editor
I don’t know all calls from this API so maybe it’s not the best way. But it should give you a few ideas on how you can set and work with API using both DB “caching” and Direct API Call.

That is a great way to understand, thanks a lot !

I just have issues to get want you did there:

Here, I don’t get the “formula” used to search for the proper team name. Why the filtered function? Why the first item function ?

Here, you are asking the app to run an update to the database right ?

On this step, that is the actual updating workflow that put up to date data to the database. You chose first item because you know there is only one item in the DB ?

Exactly. I’ve manually created one item the DB. It’s only to store data in it. So I don’t need to create a new item each time I update data. Just need to reuse the same item everytime.

For the filtered function, the reason is that actually I’m loading the Teams list, not just 1 team. I didn’t find a call where I can “Get Team” and put the Current cell Team ID in the request to get this specific information. So I use the “Get Teams” that is a list. Because of the structure of the payload and API Connector, I need to load the list and use filtering.

But if you have a call like /team/[teamid] 
 you should use it by dynamically use the Current cell team id

Got it !
And then, on the repetiting group, when you tell Bubble to actually look for the data stored in the DB, why do you use the first function ?

And then, I assume that when you need to filter data from an API using another API’s value, the formula applied for a text would be quite complicated.

For example:

How to take the teamID value from the player call, look for the matching teamID in the team call and then return the fullName value from the team call to be displayed ?

That is the kind of stuff this API requires to do, since almost every call is connection to another call, it’s going to be a common use case.

About performances:
You said that adding each entry of each API call within a dedicated DB would dramatically damage the app performances. I would have thought that having data stored in the app would be more efficient than calling for an API all the time since the data is already 'in-house".
I also don’t get why having a huge database of player with one entry per player is less efficient than having a huge one entry database with all the player in it. I would imagine that searching between 1 entry is quicker than 1000. But still, 1 huge 1000 element entry isn’t the same a 1000 tiny 1 element entry ?

Because when you do a search for, this return a list. Don’t forget that NBA players is a DB. In this DB there’s only 1 item. And this is the item that contain the JSON of the api call. What I want, is this json, not really the NBA Players DB. This is why the type of content of RG is not set on a Bubble thing (NBA Player) but on API Thing (Get Players league standards).
NBA Players field in NBA players contain Get PLayers League standars data.

In my demo, I’m listing the Player Team for each period using an API Call to Teams.json.
This is why I need to use filtered by (with the TeamAPI from PLayer call)

For you question about performance, this depend how often you need to refresh data.
For example : teams: I would not hesitate to create a WF that will create an item for each teams in my DB and using team instead of storing API Data. Because this is not the kind of data that will be updated often. But game live score? It can be updated every seconds. So if you process each game and create a game item in your DB for each of them, and you want to refresh it every minutes, it will take a lot of app capacity. It’s better to A) Directly access data to API (but this mean each user will create call to API, so if you have 1000 user on your app at the same time, this is 1000 API Call every minutes (if you refresh it every minutes). or B) Store data in DB using “caching” like I did for the players list. This mean only 1 API Call each minutes and doesn’t matter if you have 1 or 1 000 users.

And I will say that searching that return 1000 elements is not the same thing as searching 1 item that contain 1000 elements in 1 field. But again, this is something to analyze for each case to know what is better.

Well, my intention was not to store each game otherwise, Bubble would explode :joy:

That said, it spend the last couple hours playing around and I managed to call different endpoints and even mix data between them. My goal was to understand what’s possible since this data is the foundation of my projected app. I need now to go deeper in every aspect of it but it looks totally feasible. That said, I think I understood I should definitely leave the data were it is and only store what makes the added value of the app (all that is user related).

The only key factor is now about the potential limitations Bubble applies to API connector calls within the app. For instance, if 1000 users are on a page that uses a API call to fetch the displayed data, will Bubble allow that ? What if it’s not 1000 but 10k users, and so on

1 Like

It’s doesn’t change anything for Bubble I think, but maybe the API you are calling will not accept that. Each API have is own limitations and in some case you need to talk to their support to increase the number of requests you can make to their API

The API I would likely use is actually not a real API but endpoints on a website. So there is no limitations (I guess).

1 Like

hey guys sorry to interfere here but I would have a question for @Jici.

in the example that you posted (btw thanks, it’s a most efficient solution), we retrieve the data API as a list. but what if I want to manipulate the data of the NBA players list? E.g. I want the Players league standard → heightMeters, to be:

• 0 if heightMeters <=2
  • 1 if heightMeters > 2

i.e. if I now have a text element with the dynamic expression “Current cell’s Get players league Standard’s heightMeters” it gives me either 0 or 1.

hope I was clear enough. thanks again

@Jici I opened a new topic and you can reply there if you want. I permitted myself to use the public editor you referred to here. hope that is ok with you :slight_smile: