Would someone mind helping me with data setup?

So I have been watching tutorial video after video and have yet to find one to help me with not only my data structuring, but then getting that data to display. I know excel and what I want is 6 columns and rows to be adjusted as needed. I would like these 6 columns available in 4 different categories.

(Category 1) Cooling
—Main Repair Issue
------(6 columns, 50 rows)
---------(Job Code, Repair Description, Retail Price, Retail OT, Member Price, Member OT)
—Main Repair Issue #2
---------(Job Code, Repair Description, Retail Price, Retail OT, Member Price, Member OT)
(Category 2) Heating
—Main Repair Issue
—Main Repair Issue #2

If anyone could tell me how they would go about it please let me know :slight_smile:

Well, firstly I’m not amazing at data structures, so this could be completely wrong, but:

• What’s the “50 rows” thing that are in each main repair issue? If they are clients, then you could just create a separate client data type and create a 1:many relationship between the data types.
  • Again, there’s probably a better way to do this, but you could just create 6 different data types for the categories. It’s inelegant but functional. Or you could try and use “list” field types to add a third dimension to your table…

Just a starter for 10 pre-coffee :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for replying! There is no customer or client field. This is simply a flat-rate pricing csv that my company has accrued over the years. I simply would like to be able to display what we have in our actual physical book. By 50 rows I meant that each repair has about 50 or so specific “Job Description” service choices. So this is how it’s broke down, there are 4 main categories to choose from in the book. Cooling System, Heating System, System Enhancements, and Misc. Unclassified.
Cooling System has 18 Chapters, which are labeled by most common issues. “Failed Capacitor, Failed Compressor, Condenser Coil Leak, etc.”. Each one of these chapters has several service “rows” with pre-filled data that tells us the Work Code, the Repair Description, the Retail Price, the Retail OT, the Member Price, and the Member OT."
I hope that explains my dilemma a little better. Please just let me know if I can clarify any further!

The fact you have spreadsheets to start with is a big help. With Bubble, you can import CSV (comma-separated value) files, which you can directly import into your Bubble tables. (Save as CSV format in excel to start with).

There are no rules about the best way to set up your Bubble data. And traditional Database best practices don’t work in practice with Bubble. You need to design your database to meet your requirements and fit within Bubbles database capabilities- you can’t just run SQL against your Bubble DB as you expect with a traditional database.

All that said it is very easy with Bubble to try a dozen different things very quickly and see what works best for you. Upload your CSV files, then you might realise that some things ought to be “options”, and something might be better as lists on a Thing. Or you want to keep your database as close to your spreadsheets as possible because that is what makes sense to you. With 50 things, performance is unlikely to be a problem.

TBH I can’t fathom what your DB structure is from your description but it seems like a very typical type of problem. Decide what are tables/Things (proper real-life things, probably each of your worksheets) and what are attributes of the things. The attributes are probably the columns with duplicates in your spreadsheet. Or just load the CSV files in, get a prototype working and iterate from there.

If it was me, I’d upload the spreadsheets/CSV with as few changes as possible, and see how quickly that could be turned into a concept App. (If you know Bubble that could be about 10-30 minutes :wink:

Apologies if I’ve gone too basic for you, but what I’ve found is if you approach Bubble with your traditional database best practices, you will come up against some “it simply doesn’t work that way” roadblock problems.:grinning:

2 Likes

^^^ this