Workflows Sequences and Schedules

I have some advanced questions looking for some clarity on cuz I just found this GEM (Order of Operation) prior to launch thank goodness. I see this thread was closed though… is there more up to date information anywhere?

1. Front End Workflow Forcing Sequential
    If step 2 uses “result of step 1” , will that force step 2 (backend workflow) to wait until step 1 is complete? Or do I need to change step 1 to a custom event?

2. Scheduled API workflow with Dynamic Date
    If I schedule an API workflow with a Dynamic Date coming from a thing in my database (eg: Event Date), is the date that the API workflow is going to run static now… or is it still dynamic and changing along with the event’s date?

Any help much appreciated! (@NigelG saw you on related topics. @adamhholmes last tag of the day I promise! Are we allowed to tag Bubble support or is it better to just email them for these thigns?)

2 Likes

Hello @NoCodeNinja

1. Yes
  2. At first pass I would say that once the api flow is scheduled it will run then (static). But this would be rather easy to test and see. Should you consider doing this please share your findings. :smiley:
1 Like

Yea I guess I didn’t realize that would be easy to test. Looks like the answer is STATIC. The scheduled api workflow will not dynamically change it’s execution/scheduled date. So best practice is delete the scheduled workflow and re-create.

But I’m sure when my head recovers from these backend hoops I’m trying to jump through… maybe I can come up with a creative way to make the scheduled API reschedule itself.

1 Like

Hi @NoCodeNinja

Thanks!

I gather that if you want to reschedule the flow then you are sending a list of things.

Consider doing this:

• Add two number parameters to the api flow; call them index and count
  • When scheduling the api flow send the index as 1 and the count as the nr of things in the list. Also send the list of things of course.
  • Add the required flow actions. If you need to act on your list of things one by one do it as “thing item #index”.
  • Add as the last action of the flow the scheduling of itself only when index<count. And make sure to send the index as “index + 1”. This way you will be increasing the index by 1 for every rescheduling.
  • This recursive flow will stop when the index is greater than the count :smiley:
2 Likes