Adding messages to conversation thread

I have created a messaging system that allows users to message each other.

Database is structured as:
Type: Conversations
Fields: Messages - list of Messages
Participants - List of users
Recipient - User

Type: Messages
Fields: Conversation - Conversation
Message body - text
Recipient - User
Sender - User

I’d like to be able to keep all messages between 2 distinct users in one conversation, even if they send a message from a different place in the app.

So, User A messages User B, creates a Conversation. Then at a later point, User A messages User B again, and that message gets added to the same list of messages in the same conversation, rather than creating a new Conversation.

Can someone help me with what I need to add to the workflow to accomplish this? Thanks!

With each Message, you’d be looking to create a new Message, and then add the created Message to the List of Messages associated with the appropriate Conversation.

1 Like

I’ve got that part down - but is there a way to make sure that if User A messages User B (or vice versa), that there will never be a second Conversation started for them?

For some more context: we are a marketplace app, so clients will message vendors from the vendor’s storefront, which triggers a workflow to create a conversation that the users can later follow up with in their dashboard. What happens if the client goes back to the vendor storefront and initiates a new conversation; Is there a way to make the workflow recognize that there is already a conversation between User A and User B and add the convo to that same Conversation rather than creating a new one?

Thank you for your help!

Absolutely! Try adding a condition on the workflow that runs a search for existing conversations between the two users and adds messages to the existing convo rather than creating a new one if one already exists, and creates a new one if one does not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that worked! Thank you soooo much!

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, but am having trouble visualizing your recommendation. Can you provide screen shots of your solution? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.