Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to use Stripe for payments with my Bubble app?

I’ve created an app in Bubble where stall holders can set up their own virtual shop through which to sell their products that they have entered into my app - kind of like a virtual High Street. Customers log into the app, order what they want from a stall holder, order it in advance then go along and pick it up later. My app creates the order, the user pays and my app takes a tiny cut from the total.
I now need a payment system for this so I’m looking at Stripe but someone on their chat has just told me that I have to enter each stall-holder’s products into Stripe myself (which isn’t going to happen!). When I questioned this they said that the stall-holder enters them into Stripe. That’s better but it rather defeats the point of users entering them into my app because if they’re not in my app, then they can’t order them. Unless I should have built my app in Stripe or something and not Bubble which sounds odd because Stripes a payments system and Bubble is for creating apps like mine.
Does anyone have experience of this kind of thing and, if so, can they point me in the right direction? I’d be so grateful because I currently feel like I’ve been barking up the wrong tree with Bubble but surely I haven’t?

HI @joefarrowsmith - your instinct here is right. You can definitely have your users build their inventories and your app and then integrate those to Stripe, depending on exactly how you want your payment system to work. You may need to add some API calls in addition to what Bubble’s Stripe plugin offers, in order to dynamically add Products (if you’re using the Stripe Checkout feature). You should check out other posts in the forum about creating Stripe API calls.

1 Like

@brian9 Thank you so much for the reassurance. I’ll certainly be looking at this closely from the Bubble side rather than the Stripe side. It sounds doable which is a huge relief!

1 Like

but someone on their chat has just told me that I have to enter each stall-holder’s products into Stripe myself (which isn’t going to happen!). When I questioned this they said that the stall-holder enters them into Stripe. That’s better but it rather defeats the point of users entering them into my app because if they’re not in my app, then they can’t order them. Unless I should have built my app in Stripe or something and not Bubble which sounds odd because Stripes a payments system and Bubble is for creating apps like mine.

whoever told you that doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about, as it’s completely incorrect…

You don’t need to add any products in your Stripe account at all, and for a marketplace like yours, it would be unmanageable to even try… (and as you say, rather pointless)…

The ‘products’ can simply live in your app database, then you can dynamically create payments and charges using Stripe…

For my main Marketplace app, we don’t have any ‘products’ in Stripe… they are just created by our sellers and stored in our app, then charged accordingly at checkout using line_items.price_data parameters for creating inline pricing and product details…

Inline Pricing | Stripe Documentation

1 Like

I am adding some stuff in my app to let my SaaS users sell their products to their buyers.

I am planning on using Stripe. It sure as heck looks like I do NOT need to add the products in Stripe, and can just let them add them in my Bubble app.

I found this YT video that explained to me how to do this. I’ll admit that I was becoming intimidated by the complexity of it all, but it’s amazingly straightforward, as long as you do everything right.

If you want, here is the video:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’ll have a good watch of this. It looks really helpful.
Best wishes

Thank you ever so much. Very helpful as ever. I’m going to properly acquaint myself with all the documentation for Stripe now.

All the best

1 Like

Thank you so much for this valuable input everyone. Important lessons learned today. Namely that it’s OK to question information even when it comes straight from the horse’s mouth.
I’m hugely reassured and looking forward to getting back on track with this.