I’m building a tool for Bubble developers to solve one specific problem: Bubble Server-Side Actions time out after about 30 seconds.
The idea is that Bubble can trigger a workflow on our infrastructure, get a run_id back immediately, and let the job continue running for minutes if needed.
The workflow builder would support both visual actions and arbitrary Node.js code, for example:
Bubble Trigger
→ Download Files
→ Merge PDFs
→ Run custom Node.js
→ Convert Image
→ Return Result
It would also support reusable Node.js functions, npm packages, secrets, PDF/image utilities, retries, and detailed run history.
The part I also want to include is real-time status for the frontend.
So after Bubble starts a workflow, the frontend could know things like:
Queued
→ Running
→ Merge PDFs — 45%
→ Run Code
→ Completed
and receive live:
progress
current step
logs
success/failure
final output
This could power progress bars, loading states, live logs, and “workflow completed” events directly in the Bubble UI, while a webhook callback would still be available for backend workflows.
The goal is basically:
Run backend workflows beyond Bubble’s 30-second limit, while still making the whole thing feel native to Bubble.
I’m curious about two things:
- Would you actually use something like this?
- What are you currently doing when a Bubble server-side job takes longer than 30 seconds?
I’d especially love to hear real use cases — PDFs, AI jobs, image/video processing, bulk data operations, large imports/exports, long API calls, etc.