Building an infinite canvas to place REs (not drawing)?

Has anyone seen / made an app with an ‘infinite’ canvas that can have REs added? Imagine Miro/Figjam with a ‘unlimited’ sized space and then placing REs and connecting lines (I can do this bit).

Note: not a drawing app, but instead more like an infinite kanban / brainstorm or mindmap tool. Using only a managed shape / object (hence RE) and then placed on a canvas with unidirectional scrolling and, most likely, is not made of nested RGs.

I’ve got some of this sussed and thinking a solution is a HTML canvas element and, potentially, a renderer that converts database objects into JSON to then show on the canvas element, but this doesn’t feel great.

Looking for something similar - looks like you didn’t get much of a response. :sweat_smile:

Did you ever figure this out?

Hi @tkgibbs310 nope - nothing. I am sure it’s possible with a repeating group (to show each RE instance), drag and drop (dragit being the best plugin) and the move element plugin from nocodecraft. This would give you:

1. a Canvas (the RG)
  2. movement (dragit)
  3. positioning (move element)

However I have not had the time to pull all these together and make it - to validate if this approach would be strong enough to withstand my requirements. It may come close. It’s in the backlog :sweat_smile:

Update: i tried this and it really does not work. Bubble did not enjoy the combination of any X/Y placement (movement) within a RG. It’s fixated on rows/columns, so the idea that objects can go anywhere totally screwed it up. Maybe I’ll revisit, but I deleted my test page as a sign of my confidence.