Change Thing data acting funky

I have an RG with a Maestro and Musicians collecting information. I am trying to take the values saved in the Maestro workflow and update a Thing with the information. When Debug mode is on, it looks like it should be working but the Database isn’t actually saving the information.

This is how I am Making Changes:

Note last 2 fields: Expectation Notes / Rating data are values that are built out by Maestro/Musicians.

This is what it looks like in Debug:
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 10.38.23 AM

It is saving, and has values for, all of the data exactly how I want to save it. If this was executing like this would be perfect.

But this is what happens in the DB:

You can see that the values are populating for everything except for Notes & Rating.

The real head scratcher here too, is that if I press the Save button that triggers the workflow once this is how it looks but if I press Save again it actually works correctly.

Have been trying so many things to no avail, my eyes are now bleeding.

Still not able to fix or find a work around :sob:

It looks like this event is triggered when all the musicians start not when their workflows finish, this means that the “make changes to thing” action is executed before the musicians execute the “set state” action, so when the “save” button clicked again, the custom stat is already updated from the first click, and the “make change to thing” action will successfully obtain its value.

So you may add a “pause” action before the “make changes to thing” action to give the musicians some time to finish their workflows.
Another way is to replace this event with the “do when a condition is true”, and use a customer state as a counter that is updated when every musician finishes his workflow, so when the counter = the RG cells count this event is triggered and “make changes to thing” action is executed.

Thank you for taking a look!!

I have tried multiple ways to address the timing issue, one of the things too is that I trigger the “Make Changes” on this event.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 12.20.39 PM

I assume that this means that the musicians are all finished. In debug the thing that is confusing me is that it looks like the data is there and ready to be saved with the rest of the data, but everything gets saved except for those 2 fields.

I am wondering if the Step-by-step Inspection maybe processes things differently than reality?

When I said “this event” in my previous reply, I meant the Rating Maestro Musicians finished event, so I said It looks like this event is triggered when all the musicians start not when their workflows finish.

If I was right, then the problem should be solved if you add a pause action in front of the actions in this workflow.

I gotcha with the Musicians, the Maestro could be done while Musicians are still running. I will play around with the pausing more.

Are you saying that even thought it is showing the data here, they could be empty values?

I saw your reply by chance because you didn’t mention me.
No, if it is showing the data here then they are not empty and I am wrong. Is this screenshot from the first click on the first click on the “save” button or from the second click?

This is from the first click of the Save Button. Thats why it’s such a head scratcher for me. I got it to work if I have a separate “Save” button on that section before hitting the “Page Submit” button so am thinking about changing the design so instead of Change Thing all at once it does it in 2 sections. Was hoping to avoid the workload cost of multiple Change Things :sweat_smile:

1 Like