We’re very excited to launch an early-access beta for our revamped expression composer, which you use to integrate logic everywhere across your Bubble app, from elements’ design to the workflow conditionals.
This revamp of the expression composer allows you to:
- Edit in the middle of your expression, without deleting existing content
- View implicit parentheses, so you can keep track of and manage your expression’s order of operations
- Access dynamic data with your keyboard, allowing for faster development
To get early access, turn on the new expression composer as a beta feature. Go to Settings > Versions > Beta Features and check on the “New expression composer” feature.
Because this is a beta feature, you have full control over turning it on and off. We also generate a savepoint for you whenever you turn on this feature, so you can revert to your app’s previous status, if desired, after using the new expression composer.
In the next few weeks, everyone on Bubble will be able to toggle the new composer on or off directly from the editor. After we make updates based on your beta feedback, we’ll roll this out as the default experience.
Check out the beta documentation for more details on how the new composer changes affect building logical expressions.
Note: The new expression composer is in beta. This means the feature is pretty close to its final look, feel, and function, but we may still make some design and functionality changes before the new expression composer becomes the default experience. There may also still be some bugs in certain edge-case interactions. This feature should not break your existing applications since these changes only appear in edit-mode, not run-mode.
Potential future capabilities we’re considering for this feature:
- Selecting parts of expressions
- Preserving the expression with type mismatches
- Using literal data sources
We are very excited to see how you feel about the expression composer. You can leave feedback through the beta feature’s “submit feedback” button or submit bug reports here. Happy Bubbling!
Note: We are currently investigating editor performance issues separate from this feature. This new expression composer should NOT impact your performance, and you can turn it on and off whenever you’d like!
As of September 28th
- Performance on typing when using the new composer
- Entering literals without losing focus
- Dropdown going underneath (i.e., becoming transparent) on fields/short text composers
- Clicking on “More” only requires one, not two clicks to open the dropdown
- Increase the clickable area after a dynamic expression
- Ensure all fields are visible and do not generate issues
- Fix bugs on broken Data API, upload data, Google Material Icons
- Adding error boundaries, so rendering issues are isolated
- Fix option sets list dropdown to show list options
- Allow typing text spans in short text composer in the flyout (and flyouts within flyouts)
- Resolved issues appearing on the issue checker when new composer is turned on
- Addressed performance issues related to elements loading in elements picker
- Differentiate between shape errors and type errors
- Light-mode composers implemented
- Default values appear for null values on dropdown placeholders
- On filtered, you should be able to now correctly specify all constraints and operators
- On dropdowns in Styles, App Search, and Replace modal, elements are visible
- Short text composer designs have been updated
- Updating the look of text composer on fields/constraints
- Adding the on-hover type affordance for atoms
- Making all reusables available to select on new workflow actions
- Edge cases on field creation, groupings on repeating groups, debugger, flyout deletion, insertion experience, App Text