[Feature] Cloudflare improvements (now with A Records!)

Hi @peterj,

I have enabled CloudFlare acceleration on my app. GoDaddy has allowed me to change the 2 A records pointing to the bare domain, but not to the two www names. For that they say I have the CNAME redirection to the bare domain.

Now, Bubble is saying the Cloudflare is all setup, but when I try to access the www.starnapp.com, I get a 1001 error from cloudflare. The bare domain (starnapp.com) is working fine though…

Could you please help?

@starnapp
You can’t have two records of different types (CNAME and A) on the same subdomain. You have www.starnapp.com CNAME’d to starnapp.com; delete that CNAME and replace it with the same A record(s) you’re using on starnapp.com.

@simon

The records we give you differ by one digit: 240 vs 241

Ah my bad missed that

Thanks @peterj,

I did that a few hours ago, but no change… Bare domain works, but www doesn’t.

Any idea why?

Same as Michael Chang, above: the longer it takes for the domain record to update, the longer the gap between validation checks. It’s fixed now.

Hi @peterj.

Everything is working fine thanks to your help! Much appreciated!

I already deleted the domain 3 times from my app, I also deleted A records from cloudlfare, and I put everything again. After 24hrs I still get 1000 error.

:’(

Hello @peterj

48 hours later, I still get a 1001 error

My configuration in namecheap :

Domain : shoutout-app.com

With “www” before it is working but without no

Can you help ?

Thank you

Fixed.

For future users finding this thread, the self-service workaround is to get your DNS entries correct, then to delete your custom hostname and re-create it. If there’s a gap in time where one of your records doesn’t exist, Cloudflare will mark the record as “deleted”, and will not perform any subsequent validation checks.

I’ve got a more robust solution on my to-do list.

2 Likes

could you explain that first sentence more fully?

1 Like

Sure.

If your DNS records are all pointing to the correct locations, and have been for more than a couple hours, and you’re still getting errors, the issue is almost certainly that Cloudflare checked your domain when there was no record. If they try to validate in one of these in-between times and find nothing, they mark the record as “deleted,” and don’t perform additional validation checks from that point forward.

Your goal is to force a new check, since you know your DNS records are correct. The current way to accomplish this is to delete your record on bubble (forcing a Cloudflare deletion), and then to try re-create the same record a minute later. This will trigger a validation immediately, and should clear up any pending issues.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

You mentioned earlier in the thread that we need to use DNS only (“grey cloud”). But in this mode I guess we loose most of the functionality of Cloudflare like firewall, analytics, page rules etc. Is there a way to use the proxy function with Bubble? (orange cloud).

Thanks!

The official word is, we do not support these so-called “orange-to-orange” configurations. (It is undesirable to make this generally available for reasons I’ve forgotten.)

That said, we do recognize there is a demand for them, and practically speaking I have observed that:

• sometimes, I have had trouble setting up Cloudflare domains without orange cloud
  • orange cloud features (page rules, etc) seem to work okay with our current configuration.
  • I only ever configure test sites on Bubble with Cloudflare; I can’t make any guarantees as to what would happen under production load.

Your mileage may vary; feel free to play around and see what works for you.

In the medium- to long-term we may re-examine the question. If I recall correctly, our sales rep at Cloudflare said they were working on something that would split the difference between no orange-to-orange, and orange-to-orange for everyone.

Hey @peterj. We never set up the Cloudflare acceleration but don’t even see the Cloudflare acceleration option in our settings. What could be the issue?

I’m not sure what your domain is, but based on the code I wrote in the domain tab: if you set up your custom domain after October 2019, we don’t give you the option not to use Cloudflare.

Our domain is venturebasecamp.bubbleapps.io on custom domain platform.wfglobal.org
Also, given that would we get extra speed if we set up our own Cloudflare on the domain?

Two answers:

1. I can confirm, it’s not showing the checkbox because this looks like a newer domain
  2. You won’t get extra speed by running your own Cloudflare in front of ours. In fact, we’re on an enterprise plan with certain extra speed features that means that our default setup will beat any non-enterprise plan for speed.

Hi Peterj
we have a very important situation here. As you know it’s not possible to create blogs on Bubble in a Domain Blog | Domain, Website, and Ecommerce Tips for Small Businesses format due to many issues with dynamic content and unique IDs in the URLs, so many users including us at Zeroqode resort to using subdomains (blog.zeroqode.com) which are terrible for SEO - even Bubble migrated from subdomain to domain some time ago.

We are trying to use cloudflare workers in order to set up a reverse proxy for a certain page - we have configured Ghost blog host and setup workers for No-code blog by Zeroqode page and everything works well in workers environment but in a browser the redirect doesn’t work and here is what Cloudflare replied:

is there any way you could enable this?
Thanks in advance.
Levon
Zeroqode

2 Likes

@peterj I’ve also been trying to get cloudflare workers to run and having the same problems as @levon.

Being able to access and use workers would be huge!

yeah, with workers and particularly the reverse proxy setup the number of possible solutions to the Bubble community is huge:

1. pretty links (i posted about this before, but currently this won’t work on new apps - Pretty URLs with Dynamic Links - mydomain.com/dynamiclink - Solution from Zeroqode)
  2. having Domain Blog | Domain, Website, and Ecommerce Tips for Small Businesses page for Bubble apps that would actually be hosted elsewhere (for example ghost etc) - this is super important for SEO
  3. Possibility of integrating other pages/components etc built on any other tools or platforms! So this would make the seemless merger between Bubble and anything else.

The thing that currently doesn’t work is Worker routes, the worker script is executed correctly, but the route rule, that should apply the worker for specific URLs doesn’t work.

Hope you guys can find a solution to this
Thanks!

Levon Terteryan

Founder @ Zeroqode

zeroqode-for-web-160x120

Bubble Templates

Zeroqode Blocks

Bubble Plugins

Bubble Courses

Convert Web to iOS & Android

No-code Development Services

2 Likes