[Feedback] Replacing Color Palette with Color Variables

Looks great to me. I would like to give it a try, as I prefer a lot to use as much as native Bubble tools before having to go on JS or CSS

1 Like

If the change gives us the ability to create a list of color variables then by ALL MEANS letā€™s get rid of this.

To me, this is too limiting and often useless as almost every application we build has a reference to when a color should be used.

Love the preview, letā€™s do thisā€¦

1 Like

We could - but there is no way for us to know which color should map to which variable :confused:

Great feedback!

So we will start with 8 variables by default, but the next planned iteration is to allow you to create as many color variables as you wish, named whatever youā€™d like (within reasonā€¦).

Using color variables is completely optional, you can still specify whatever colors you want in your styles & elements like you do today, so no need to use the color variables if they arenā€™t helpful to you.

8 Likes

@nick.carroll For me, I donā€™t think it would matter as long as they are there.

1 Like

Hey, @nick.carroll,

Awesome feature, love it. It would be great if we could access the app colors with expressions.

For example, when we have a text element with app color 1 and we edit a part of the text with bbcode and change that part of the text to app color 2 with an expression :slight_smile: :computer:

Please make it not limited to 8 from the start if you can. The community will appreciate it a lot. :smiley:

Another suggestion if 8color limitation cannot be avoided, can you make option set available as an option for colors in styles? That will help us design much better for themes.

ā€”ā€”ā€”

Can you also make a votation feature for feedbacks? Like Frill.co so bubble users can also suggest and vote for features we want to be implemented? That way you can see which feature has more demand?

2 Likes

Q. Is it the plan to apply these variables at the element level? Or, is it the plan to create dynamic CSS entries that integrate them into a class definition?

Or, are they just for convenience of the no-coder?

Itā€™s always fair to give Bubble the credit to set things up so the learning curve keeps smooth to the newcomers - and that extends to learn the basic requirements of a interface (those predefined colors do just that).
But is also important to think about the advanced use cases of the product ā€“ which is what we are seeing here. So, the ability to have you own set of how many colors makes sense to you would be a great adition, specially thinking how design systems work.

1 Like

@nick.carroll The new color picker is very nice, but is it possible to show the percentage in the box next to the #color that is selected? now i always have to open the color picker to view what percentage i have selected for an item. something like: #000000 / 50%

2 Likes

will it be possible to scan the current app for the color so it changes the current color selected with the new variable? this would save so much time

Search for #hex in app an link and change it to variable x

I would definitely love more than 8 colours and would also love the ability to redefine their names. Having set names makes me feel that I should be using them for their pre-defined purpose rather than how I was using the old palette where I had picked colours for the various sections of my website.

2 Likes

Really not a fan of this update. Youā€™re forcing naming conventions onto a set of colors that arenā€™t necessarily how my app works or how I think in terms of style palettes. So now Iā€™m just overwriting them with the most common colors I use and having to stare at and ignore the names that appear whenever Iā€™m trying to choose one. I donā€™t understand why you canā€™t take the obvious and simple route of just having a more extensive color palette like Apple Keynote for example. Just let me add as many colors as I like and if you want names on them let me edit them. Otherwise Iā€™ve found this to be the worst update in a while.

2 Likes

Ability to add/edit new variables is coming soon!

11 Likes

I do like the new colour picker functionality - HOWEVER it would have really been nice when you did the update to have migrated the colours set up in the old colour palette over as that was a major pain logging in one day and them no longer being available. Especially to us devs that work on multiple apps.

To me having a name for the colours is immaterial (actually more a pain than anything), having the ability to put them in somewhere once and have them available options in colour pickers is the thing.

But Iā€™m a pretty seasoned dev so am not giving a balanced perspective that would suit no code newbies out of the boxā€¦perhaps this way is better for raw beginners.

Appreciate the feedback! Unfortunately, we would have had no idea which palette colors should be matched to which color variable. We did leave the color palette available in General Settings for existing users to copy & paste over, but I understand that this is a somewhat tedious process.

1 Like

To most people it doesnā€™t matter, they just want it to be available to pick in the palette - the actual name or what ā€˜slotā€™ itā€™s in I would think is actually pretty redundant to a large portion of people.

2 Likes

Please introduce ability to change colour settings by workflow to allow changes like darkmode :nerd_face:

4 Likes

ETA on as many colours as we wish?This is a definite necessityā€¦

something like thisā€¦

2 Likes