How can I measure the maximum capabilities?

Hello,

It is still not working. I wonder what will happen when I launch the app in which I have been working for nearly one year. It is my entire life this business idea in this unemployment time.

Could you please tell me, explain to me: how is exactly bubble’s system? I understand the user interface we use which is no code, it is only an interface like a website, it will not have less capabilities that a normal software where without no code interface. Am I correct? or the fact of having this no-code front-end-back-end really slows down the process which I am “programming” ?

Which is the capability then of bubble? how complex an app can be? my app is getting really complex, and even more with the tools that I will integrate. Please explain, how can I measure the maximum capabilities? I get surprises sometimes that when I am working I get "spikes on workload " ?? and I am doing pretty anything when I get that.

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hi there,

Bubble is a platform where you can design both backend and frontend visually. It is a general-purpose no-code platform, which means you can build more or less any web application. Some applications will be easier to build, and some others will be harder to build (depending on the features you will have in your app).

Like any system, it has outages, issues and times when it is down. It is sometimes more than other systems. I like to believe the team is working on this but it looks like they will have these outages no matter what according to what I have seen during my time here. So, be ready to explain this outages to your clients. OR have some kind of a backup plan. Usually, people don’t put all their resource in here and separate out the risks to more than one platform. How this is gonna look like is totally up to you.

I am not a Bubble employee or anything. But simply you are visually modeling your application. Of course, this kind of modeling brings some limitations. It will not be as flexible as custom coding. You can virtually do everything by custom coding. And you can do a lot of stuff by visually modeling as well (like in Bubble). Some features will be easier, and some others will be harder. But no matter what, bringing a web application to live will not be faster than Bubble (or other no-code platforms) in custom coding. (Think all the custom coding, database, front-end, back-end, server deployments, certificates for https, etc.)

The kind of convenience Bubble brings to the table means there are some uncertainties. Some of the uncertainties are about Bubble’s business models and being discussed in another thread: like you mentioned WU spikes etc. But in general terms, yes, Bubble is limited. If you are going to be the next facebook, you should plan to move outside Bubble after some point and use custom coding no matter what. But Bubble takes a lot of IT and maintenance issues of a software application out of the way, so you can focus on your actual business. If you will be a small software company, a software startup that needs a fast software, or a company that happens to use a custom software tool, Bubble is perfect for these scenarios.

I don’t know of a way that you can really measure Bubble’s limitations. Because you will be billed anyway in doing so. It is like measuring the limitations of Amazon Web Services. Of course, AWS is a more professional sub-company than Bubble. So, they will have less outages and provide more professional service.

I know this is a long rant. But I wanted to sum up what I think about Bubble in general. I am not actively maintaining a big software using Bubble so I don’t know the actual limitations. I can only talk from what I have seen in the forum and the good people I have talked from the forum.

And disclaimer again: I am not a Bubble employee and I am interested in the platform because of the high level modeling of a web application.

2 Likes

Hi Hergin,
Although I am heartbroken and quite worried I appreciate your answer, and time and wish to help by clarifying my doubts and sharing your points of view. It is true that to diversify is the best, by now I am “until the neck” with this, so the next step in a couple of weeks is to launch… and then later evaluate/diversify/improve…
I am not willing to have a webapp that collapses… It will be deathly for any SaaS and even worse at the first steps. I have not seen, in my entire life, a SaaS collapsing despite having used a lot of tools. It will be a big shame.

I will have thousands of API calls getting and posting… besides that the database is quite complex but not messy… Now, I do not know anymore if that will work on at least a medium scale.
I was comparing Bubble with Simulink for example, it is visual programming tool for chemical engineering, so there are users in the drag-and-drop interface, and they manage complex databases as well I imagine.
Hopefully, I am not wrong, and hopefully, it can stand in good shape at least 10.000 users… less would be a lot of time and resources, and a waste to work with bubble.
Thanks again!
I wish you the best in your projects!

I am sure there are people in here that successfully serve webapps to more than 10K users. I remember reading posts about these.