Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

How to copy Bubble Forum's 'Download App' feature?

Hi Bubblers,

I’ve seen the Bubble Forum has a ‘Install to App Screen’ feature, which downloads the app to your Native App screen (I’m on a Galaxy S8, using the Samsung Internet browser).

@emmanuel @josh, any idea how this is achieved? It might help me avoid the anguish and confusion of the app store process.

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

1. Just need to on the hide safari UI components in the Setting/General
  2. Download it to the live version
  3. Try to add to home screen now, you will see that it become an app alike platform.

Hi Loh,

Thanks for your message!

I’ve actually seen and done that, but what I’m talking about is shown in yellow, a download button in my browser, which triggers the ‘install webapp’ action, which adds it to the actual app drawer (not sure how iPhones work though) and for a popup/notification to prompt the user to install it.

I want to avoid app stores if possible, so this is a possible path I’m exploring.

PWA - Progressive Web Apps - is probably what you’re looking for.

Hi Alexander,

Well ultimately yes, I guess, but right now I’m just looking for the workflow/element/code that tells the mobile browser to show me the ‘Download’ button (like I’ve circled in yellow in my previous post), or otherwise the steps to show a notification, so when the user clicks a button, the page will be downloaded to their phone. Asking a user to find and click through to the ‘Add to Home’ button on their phones seems like a lot of friction.

Read about Add to Home Screen here:

(Pro tip: MDN can tell you anything about web development, actually.)

1 Like

That’s perfect! Thanks so much, Keith!