Pricing: continued discussion / community trust

Mad respect for the transparency. My trust is restored.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Bubble for 2 years uninterrupted and I’ve only had 2 disappointments:

1. Receiving a message that my paid plugins and paid templates would no longer give me commissions because they would no longer make Stripe payments to Brazil (hello, 80’s). The values ​​for plugin subscriptions and template sales are still in my account, that is, Bubble continues to receive subscriptions even though I removed the plugins, and I don’t receive (they transfered one-time a Paypal payment and finished).

2. When I finally manage to finish an app that was worth developing, I’m really excited when this (no word to describe here) price model news comes along and makes me give up, at least temporarily, from launching the app to see how things will turn out in the future.

Its not about adding limits but a more pay as you grow type of plan. The problem in number of things in the database is that if I have a rediculouly small project that adds 20k itens per month in less then one year I will be in the most expensive plan and it dosent metter if I access/edit this data 1 or 1 million times in a month.

Workflows runs on user side and isent a way of masuring “capacity” since dependign on what you are doing it will use only the end user browser. What adds cost to Bubble is “basically”: page views, DB operations and backend worflows.

This is the same way that any other server will charge for your application to run on it.

Trust is something that must not be broken. Once broken, it will never be restored.

I developed and published 37 plugins on the Marketplace, and today I sincerely regret it. I even expected a change in rates, because I think Bubble’s plans are too low.
But I expected from a company the size of Bubble, a minimum of common sense, taking into account the team of developers you have today, at no time did you ask for opinions from data engineers?

Putting 200,000 lines for a $350 plan is a bad joke.
After some flaws that I have already encountered, which were reported and never resolved, and the catastrophic price change announcement that they made, for me it lost credibility, I have no pleasure in investing a minute more in Bubble.

I wish good luck to everyone who will continue, and I hope the company does not disappoint you.

12 Likes

ummm… care to pm me where? hehe

In agreement on the number of things in database.

It’s really semantics at the end of the day with todays capacity vs. the proposed “cost per query/operation”. I like the ambiguous capacity because I feel like I am unlimited and not being nickel and dimed for EVERY query or operation I run.

Today, I can run 1000 database operations over a day and it still costs me $29. I can run 100,000 over a month and it may still only cost me $29. For a business owner, this is very re-assuring to me – I know what my costs are… Under the new proposed “pay per query” model, I don’t know what it may be! We go from todays “hmm… how much capacity do I really need?” to “wait… $233 for Bubble this month… Oh crap I ran 100,000 queries. Yikes. I didn’t realize my application is so inefficient”

Today, I don’t THINK about every single query/operation I build. I build it and if it blossoms my capacity, I then change course. Personally, I prefer this reactive model vs. spending hours proactively trying to think about how to save money in a “cost per operation” model.

If we go to a “cost per query” or “cost per database operation”, even the lightest of calls cost and it’ll stick in the back of my head during development. Now my mindset goes to “how do I limit the amount of queries and database operations”… which then starts affecting my development and slowing me down. Granted, yes, this is how things work on AWS and other hosting providers… but Bubble is supposed to be different. Easier.

12 Likes

I fully agree

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s just me but since the announcement I haven’t stopped looking for alternatives to the bubble anyway. Even with the positioning of @emmanuel.

I am extremely concerned about my company in a race against time to switch it either to code or to another more stable platform.

I’m afraid that in a year or two they’ll make my app unfeasible, and my clients and my career and my family that depends on bubble today?

I’m totally terrified not knowing what to do. Unfortunately the way is to learn code

4 Likes

I know how to code, I’ve been a professional developer for over 2 decades and I can tell you that, if you’re running or planning to run a software company or consultancy/agency, it’s the worst thing you can spend your time on. Even with masses of experience it will take 5-10X longer to develop your app and you’re still gonna get locked into something whether it’s a framework, a DB, a language, a hosting platform and they can always do the same thing that Bubble were proposing (indeed on the same day developers were up in arms over a huge price hike on Google’s Cloud platform).

You can’t just “switch” to code, it’ll likely take you years to be proficient enough to build the app you can build in Bubble right now and then it’s a slow, tedious, laborious slog to get it done and then your competitor who used No/Low code release a year earlier than you and now have a massively superior app and taking your family’s lunch from them anyway and you’ll look back and wish to the almighty that you’d stuck with Bubble. As for alternative platforms, give me a break, there’s nothing, nada, zilch, nil that comes within a country mile of Bubble’s capabilities, they might compete on the front-end or the backend but there’s nothing that can touch it as a complete platform.

I feel your pain and worry over the last couple of days, it’s shared by me and many others, but they’ve listened, they rolled back and they’re gonna consult us. I thinks that actually a pretty great thing . Keep the faith and we’ll all succeed together on Bubble.

14 Likes

Which is why I think contractual protections are the only way to truly fix this concern. Even when companies are trying to do the right thing, errors in judgement can occur, management can change, ownership can change, crazy stuff can happen. But the terms of service can be written to insulate and protect existing users.

2 Likes

I don’t understand much about code, just the basics, I really like bubble, it changed my life.

However, if the new pricing plan was in effect, my family and I would be left without support, I have a delivery app with more than 1000 users, Database lines I must have around 30k+, today I earn with my app around $300 gross , I’m at the beginning my app is forwarding

But the worry is driving me crazy

1 Like

I fully agree @w.fly

Yes but they’re not going to be introducing it, that’s pretty clear at this point that the community won’t wear it. It was mistake by them, they’ve owned it and now are gonna come up with a way that works. It may not be perfect, it may cost you more than you pay now or more than you’d like to but it won’t be based on an absurd concept of charging per database row. Chill, you’re in the right place my friend :slight_smile:

Thank you for the words, It made me feel a little calmer, I hope it’s something nice for all of us. @gazinhio

1 Like

Lol I say all of this… then I just maxed out my capacity on my Personal app for 15 minutes and it ground me to a halt… :joy: Honestly, it was a good thing – I had a massive, massive API query that ran away from me. “Pay per go” would’ve hit me hard for that mistake. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Hello everyone! As I understand it, one of the reasons given by @emmanuel for the change in the pricing system was the interruption of some systems that reached the usage limit of their plans, causing slowdowns or stoppages, and this generated dissatisfaction and hit the Bubble on a base recurrent. My question for this situation is! Is this a Bubble bug? Or is it a mistake or unpreparedness of those who created the system and did not use the tools properly to prepare for it to have sufficient scalability and performance? Is the share of customers who have had this problem significant enough to generate a change that affects everyone? Would training or other actions to resolve this system downtime issue not be the correct solution?

Bubble’s health is our health too. So if the current pricing system was maintained and the price doubled, I would still accept everything Bubble offers and also because I want a strong, stable and secure Bubble. :heart:

Currently, with the current pricing system, I can know my ideal usage plan and how much I will pay for it. And with the growth of my business I can estimate which usage plan I will use in the future. The growth of my business is closely linked to the Bubble usage plan. :+1:

The offered pricing system does not have this link! This prevents me from doing sales campaigns that allow users to use my system for free for X period (just like Bubble). Because if I run a campaign like that, I’ll have a high cost on Bubble. Not to mention the limit of stuff in the database, the more users, the more stuff in the database, the more I worry about bubble costs and the less my business grows.

The pricing system offered complicates business growth! It raises concern about how much the cost may come, and I can’t predict how much I’ll have to pay.

In my case, the clients are universities and I currently have an agreement with 2 and this results in almost 20,000 users on my system. If I scale my business to bigger universities, my number of users will be much higher. And I still have a chat and blog feature within my system and that generates a lot of records in the bank.

:large_blue_circle: :large_blue_circle: :large_blue_circle:IF IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE WITH THE CURRENT PRICING SYSTEM, MY PROPOSAL WOULD BE THIS: :large_blue_circle: :large_blue_circle: :large_blue_circle:

Usage plans would be created using 2 variables:

SYSTEM WORKFLOW NUMBER: This would be a way of knowing how many Bubble resources were used to create the system.
UNIQUE MONTHLY VISITORS: For example, if the same user visits in three days or more, they count as 1 in your monthly total. With this information, it is possible to know the flow of users that the company has in the month and charge for this use.
would be:
Free: 250 workflows and 500 unique visitors per month
Personal: 1,000 workflows and 20,000 unique visitors per month
Professional: 5,000 workflows and 100,000 unique visitors per month
Production: 10,000 Workflows and 300,000 Unique Visitors per month

BUBBLE TIP:
Note that I took out of the equation how much structure is being used (CPU, Storage, Memory ETC) so that the proposal follows a more innovative line, which is what I imagine Bubble is looking for. But even with these features out of the equation, there’s nothing stopping you from hitting a threshold and the system crashing (because they exist). Or worse, if this is not relevant, there may be more systems in the future that use these resources inefficiently, generating more expense for the Bubble. I see the need to continue with the capacity usage dashboard to avoid bottlenecks.

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughtful response to the situation and your willingness to be open about it, we truly appreciate that @emmanuel

1 Like

Congratulations!
I’m feeling happy now!
What we have to make clear here is that we are happy to pay for the service provided by the platform.
What I and I think everyone is looking for here is trust, responsibility, and you’ve shown that now.

Thank you so much for allowing us to keep dreaming.

1 Like

Let me paste the previous threads here.
(Don’t get me wrong. I’m not sore, I have my own way to cope with the whole topic. Just find it more natural and comfortable to have them here for reference.)

1 -

2 -

Thank you @emmanuel

1 Like