Question about a database, since as I see bubble doesn't do something like SQL joins

So hello guys, I am a complete beginner to bubble, and i would be really glad if someone could help me out.

So firstly, let’s say i have a database which is consisted of 3 tables: Players, Teams, LinkPlayersTeams.

Attribute of table Players: Name,Surname,Height,Weight
Attribute of table Teams: TeamName,CountryName,Titles
Attribute of table LinkPlayersTeams: UniqueKey,Player,Team,StatusOfAPlayer

Note: StatusOfAPlayer is an enum, oculd be active,inactive,etc…also, attributes Player and Team should be references i guess or a whole object which represents an entity in table Players, or Teams.

So let me finally get to my question… :smiley: How do i make this work in bubble, what is the best approach with associative classes, agregations, etc in bubble.

Also, if you have some helpful material i can further learn, which helped you, feel free to send me, I would love that. :smile:

Thank you guys for your attention, sorry for the long post, hope it finds you well…

1 Like

You can totally design it as you did. However, data will not be intuitive. And by intuitive I mean the design I mention below.

Yes, the Player, Team objects in the LinkPlayersTeams table will be the exact objects, no IDs or anything. Bubble handles this automatically.

You can technically do this in 2 tables as well.

You will have a Team and Player data type and then Team data type will have a field called Players of type Player data type. Bubble handles the joins etc automatically.

For the associative classes, if you want to just add a flag like StatusOfAPlayer, I would probably have a list of Active Players (of type list of Player) and Inactive Players (of type list of Player) in the Team data type.

If you want to add more than just a flag to a relationship (associate classes), you can name it like a TeamPlayer and put all the flags in there. But even in this case, I would probably have a Team. Then, Team has a list of Team Players (of type list of Team Player). Each team player has a Player (of type Player).

This is just me though. I don’t know the performance implications too much. Technically, the data is supposed to be modeled closer to the real life than technical life (db, sql etc) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You create your relationships via assigning a field in a table to another tables type, which will basically be the uid for that foreign table’s record, and allows you access to all the fields within that table.

1 Like

Wow thank you so much, I will try my best to make this work, thanks for a thorough explanation, I really appreciate it!

Understood, thank you so much!