Set State (List) add one text item to empty list

Hi there, I’m going round in circles trying to figure this out.

I have a RG of items, and I want the user to click an icon in the cell that will add the UniqueID of that cell’s thing to a custom state list, however, I cannot work out how to do this in a workflow. It keeps saying that the value is “text” when it should be a list.

Is there now way to start with an empty custom state list and add one item at a time?

thanks

Hi @kyleharryjohnson,

The unique id is a text. From what you are explaining a list of items cannot receive a text. It can only receive added items.

Did I understand your problem correctly?

Thanks, I worked it out. It took me a while to work out that in the Value field I had to reference the list, then :plus item, then the thing I wanted to add. This was not clear. But, it’s working now.

Thanks!

5 Likes

@kyleharryjohnson

I was going to tell you exactly that … but I thought you might have been wrong in the logic in the first place.

Glad to hear!

Hi @cmarchan

I have a similar situation. I have a type “invoice items”, which I would like to add to a custom state as they’re created. I can’t seem to find a way to do it though. Are you able to advise?

The reason they’re being added to a state, is that that I need these items to be created, and then linked to a type “invoice”, but until I have the “invoice” unique ref, these line items must be stored in a custom state.

Any help greatfully appreciated!

Alan

Firstly, assuming your Invoice Items custom state is of type ‘Invoice Items’ you can’t use the unique ID (that’s a text). You just need to reference the item itself.

Secondly, to add a value to a ‘list’ state you first have to reference the current state value, and then add the new item.

So in your case the value should be index's Invoice Items: plus item result of step 1 (Create a new Invo...)

3 Likes

That’s it. thanks so much for your help.

I’ve not used lists in custom states before, now I know about referencing the item first that’s me on my way!

Thanks again.Alan.

1 Like