Understanding Dropdown behavior within Groups and default values.

Hello, this is my first post.

I’ve been looking into the behavior of the Dropdown element within a “group” and I’d like to understand why it happens. I assume that when the group’s data is updated, it forces an update on the Dropdown element.

Let me provide context to my situation:

While experimenting with a form, I have two elements displaying almost the same information in different ways: a SearchBox and a Dropdown. I needed to automatically select the item in the Dropdown after finding and selecting a “thing” in the SearchBox, thereby displaying the selected value depending on the SearchBox.

However, this didn’t work to change the Dropdown value based on the selected value in the SearchBox until I placed the Dropdown within a “group” element. I set up this “group” element with the same type of content as the SearchBox, along with the Data source value depending on the selected value from the SearchBox.

My question is how this method establishes the “Default value” of the Dropdown with the selected value from the SearchBox.

To clarify my question further, the “group” element is not directly related in the Dropdown configuration that could cause such a change.

I don’t understand how the type of content and the data source of the “group” element relate to the “default value” of the Dropdown.