Working with time

Makes sense for this use case not to use scheduled workflows, since the store opens and closes at set time daily. Like I mentioned before I misunderstood the intended application, and thought it was an irregular and manual process. Thanks for the input!

Out of curiosity, the bubble documentation lists a possible use case as setting a workflow in 30 days to end a users trial. Would you agree with this use case or would you go about it a different way? Technically if you already have the user you could check to see their trial start date and do the math to figure out if it’s past the 30 days, and avoid the scheduled workflow. But to me it makes more sense to just go about it the way the documentation suggests, which is just changing a single value at a scheduled time so you can just easily reference that. But to your point, if you had 20k users on the trial at once that’s 20k scheduled workflows. What are your thoughts there? Always looking to learn and hear the opinion of others :slight_smile:

hmm… probably not.

@boston85719 My answer came due to this statement.

for times in different zones, you’d want to add a shift. and @rpetribu has shown how up there!
a timeshifter looks like a nice plugin.

any interest here for that? :laughing:
I could definitely pump this out for a few buckerooos

That is a completely different situation than the one discussed in the thread. That is 20K users who will signup and therefore end their 30 day free trial at different points in time so the 20K workflows associated would be spread over an indeterminate amount of time…compared to a large number of workflows happening everyday twice a day to change a data field that only exists for the purpose of displaying a value on the page that can be displayed another way that doesn’t require workflows.

Why would you go through the trouble of adding another conditional on how to hide or show content based on the subscription status. Easier to just schedule the workflow to run 30 days after starting the free trial.

Basically different situations call for different approaches, and one of the best things about Bubble is how much control the developer has over how things are done in the app. Makes it possible to arrive at the same end point from various routes.

Okay great thanks so we are on the same page. Like I said scheduled API workflows aren’t the right fit for this problem once I understood the application properly. And as for the 30 day trial example, I am of the opinion that scheduled workflows would be the solution here as well I would never implement conditional checks everywhere instead of the workflow, I was just trying to gauge where stood with them, as you had seemed quite against them here:

And since you had mentioned you would rather manipulate available data than run a workflow, I was only mentioning that technically it would be possible to determine if the trial had expired through the data on the page (the user) without the need for a workflow, as that seemed to be what you were saying you preferred. Although it would be wildly impractical compared to just running the scheduled workflow. But like I said, we are on the same page here, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.