Wrapping apps in Dropsource

Ok, but what we need is probably a set of instructions / steps how to integrate bubble app into jasonette.

1 Like

Much agreen, Steven. Thanks for the responses, everyone!

@JohnMark how did you compile your app into a JSON? Iā€™ve tried exporting the app as you can do on paid plans, then uploading it into a JSON bin and was unsuccessful with a couple different platforms. Is there a good way to convert the app from .bubble to .JSON? I

The beauty is you donā€™t have to compile the json program. You send to iOS store and Android store the core of jasonette, and then, when running, it look for your json file and execute it. So now, all changed are instant, no more need to update on Apple store or Google store :slight_smile: (other advantage). From that point, you only change your json easy file.

1 Like

Bubble plan have nothing to do with the json file. The json file is on your bubble directory (or any other file server), and is execute when you open the app (it compiled himself). So you donā€™t convert .bubble to .json , you build you json (with ios android instructions in it) with jasonette, and then ask permission to publish. Itā€™s an easy process (unless Iā€™m missing something). But it take few minutes to grasp the idea.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I understand. To run the jasonette, donā€™t you need to change the URL to a JSON hosted page and then run that with in the jasonette file? Thatā€™s what Ethan appears to do in his walkthrough video

As I said, play with it. Find the way to make the demo working for you (first step). The JSON can be on any server (including Bubble root directory). You donā€™t have to compile to Apple or Android store to test your app (internally first).

Interesting. I tried running it from the root directory on Xcode only to get the app to compile properly and the received a 404 notification on the simulator. Iā€™ll keep playing with it. Thanks a ton for the heads up, I had no idea you could run it from the root directory.

1 Like

Awe, thats sad. Sorry to hear. Thats too bad.

Well, thanks for the info. I will try again one day. I was worried about uploading my app using their ā€œFreeā€ server because I was worried about security. What are your thoughts about that?

Out of interest how much does it cost now to publish an app through Dropsource? They have changed the pricing and seem to have hidden the price, I did read on the forum it starts at $2k a year!

The cost per app is $999 per year for the ability to update it.

ah ok thanks!

Just looking at thisā€¦ In relation with Bubble, wouldnā€™t this be just using web view? Would Apple be OK with this?

Thanks,
Rick

From my last research, yes. (from the owner of jasonette)

Jasonette has webview component, but the webview component is not the route Iā€™d go if youā€™re looking to leverage Jasonette. Use Bubble as a database and access the API, but build the app itself using the native components provided by Jasonette.

1 Like

OK, so thatā€™s basically just using Bubble as a backend. There are many options for that, for example DropSource.

I believe some of the others options are simply a wrapper using web view.

Then comes the issue of where is the API key stored, because if its in the client side, itā€™s not secure.

Thoughts?

So everything we currently build in Bubble, except data, will be created in Jasonette using Json? How are all the elements like repeating groups, workflows, etc. replicated?

I havenā€™t taken the time to dive in super deep, but Iā€™ll link the docs in case you feel adventurous. Iā€™m guessing you can populate lists from an API call in Jasonette, and same thing for triggering workflows. They have something called ā€œactionsā€ that seem comparable at first glance.

https://docs.jasonette.com/

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll check it out.

Hey everyone - @J805 @gnelson @andrewgassen @mente12 @onamusia @joserafael83 @mikeyoconnell.18 to answer some of your questions: weā€™ve been building on Bubble for 4+ years and earlier this year we released a developer suite for building hybrid-native apps or progressive web apps. In our humble opinion, these are the only two ways you should be considering building for mobile, especially if youā€™re building your core web app using Bubble. We just launched a bunch of updates, including the release of free mobile templates to give you a feel for what you can build using our products. For hybrid-native, you can view the template and other demos in our Companion App, and for PWA apps, all you need to do is download the free template from the marketplace and sign up for noCodeJS to receive the related plugins and files. Dropsource, Jasonette(elle), wrappers, etc. are ways to ā€œmake it workā€ that ultimately result in coding, learning something new, substantially more expense, offer sub-optimal experiences, or are open source projects that have little-to-no support. We purpose-built our developer suite so that you can build the mobile experience you want right from within your Bubble editor.

1 Like

Hi John, do you know if Jasonelle is still working? Some of the links are broken. I have not had jasonelle works for me. I have tryied just to use the webview in Android Studio but both the picture loader and maps does not work. Any more ideas on how to convert a bubble web into a mobile app? Thank you.